Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Pivot Table Special Summary

I"m brand new to pivot tables and not sure I'll even use the right
terminology in asking this question.

I've got pivot table and figured out how to use the built in functions for
my value (like min, max, count). The data is integer value 1-4.

I would like to put a summary function to count how many items have value = 4.

I tried to search help and this newsgroup but am not sure I'm using the
right keyword. You can just point me to an article or something.

Thanks in advance,
Kathy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can put your value field in the data area, as Count of Value
Put another copy of the value field in the page area, and select 4 from
the dropdown list.
Only the values of 4 will be summarized in the pivot table.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Debra,

I figured that out while waiting for a reply but need something more robust.

The report has min, max and count already. I wanted to add field to count
the values that =4, the values that =3, the values =2 and values =1.

Then wanting to add (count of values = 1 or 2 ) divide by total count to
show % of records that failed.

I may be going about this all wrong but if you've got further insight, I'd
certainly appreciate it!

peace,
Kathy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could add the Values field to the Columns area, instead of the page area,
and it would show the summaries for each value.

It won't do calculations on the counts though, because calculated fields use
a sum of the underlying values. Perhaps you could add a new column to the
source data, and calculate a zero there if it's a failure, and 1 if not a
failure. In another column, add a 1 for each record, to act as a record count.

Add the two new fields to the pivot table, and you can divide the sum of
test results by the sum of test count.
--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List