Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default working with dates and hours

I am needing to calculate the hours (with decimal portion) between two times
spanning two or more dates

e.g. the time between
2/4/2007 3:00 am 2/5/2007 7:45 pm

and have it displayed as a decimal portion of a 24 hour day

I have tried several formulas - no dice....

Thanks in advance for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I experimented with 2/4/2007 3:00 am and 2/5/2007 7:45 pm and I got 16.75.

I also experimented with 2/4/2007 3:00 am and 2/7/2007 7:45 pm and I got 64.75.

Sounds about right?

See if this helps. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datearith.htm Scroll down.

Do you have date and time in one cell or date in one cell and time in a different cell?

Epinn

"goldenrod59" wrote in message ...
I am needing to calculate the hours (with decimal portion) between two times
spanning two or more dates

e.g. the time between
2/4/2007 3:00 am 2/5/2007 7:45 pm

and have it displayed as a decimal portion of a 24 hour day

I have tried several formulas - no dice....

Thanks in advance for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I tried this formula - inserting the cell ID's where my input dates were.
When I placed in in the cell adjacent to the two inputs - it worked.

Earlier - I had the exact same formula - however when it was several cells
to the right - it would not calculate
I tried moving the formula to the right - keeping the inputs the same - and
it would not calculate.

But this formula works

Thanks

"Teethless mama" wrote:

=(B1-A1)*24

format cell as general

"goldenrod59" wrote:

I am needing to calculate the hours (with decimal portion) between two times
spanning two or more dates

e.g. the time between
2/4/2007 3:00 am 2/5/2007 7:45 pm

and have it displayed as a decimal portion of a 24 hour day

I have tried several formulas - no dice....

Thanks in advance for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you want help, you will need to explain what "would not calculate" means.
What results did you get? What did you expect? What formula did you use?

Fred

"goldenrod59" wrote in message
I tried this formula - inserting the cell ID's where my input dates were.
When I placed in in the cell adjacent to the two inputs - it worked.

Earlier - I had the exact same formula - however when it was several cells
to the right - it would not calculate
I tried moving the formula to the right - keeping the inputs the same - and
it would not calculate.

But this formula works

Thanks

"Teethless mama" wrote: