Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Inserting a static date into a function

So here's what I am trying to do:

I've created a pull-down list with a checkmark and I would like to create a
function for another cell that will insert the date that the checkmark was
added. The tricky part is getting that date to stay static instead of
changing to the computer's date (as with the TODAY() and NOW() functions). I
know that I have to us an IF function (like IF(A1=checkmark, "STATIC DATE",
"") ... and the static date is the thing that is killing me. In addition, my
company's computers do not take kindly to macros, so if there is anyway that
I am able to do this through a function, that would be ideal. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can do it without VBA but involves circular references and changing
iterations

See JE McGimpsey's site.

"Using circular references and worksheet functions"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 12:14:01 -0800, FIF780
wrote:

So here's what I am trying to do:

I've created a pull-down list with a checkmark and I would like to create a
function for another cell that will insert the date that the checkmark was
added. The tricky part is getting that date to stay static instead of
changing to the computer's date (as with the TODAY() and NOW() functions). I
know that I have to us an IF function (like IF(A1=checkmark, "STATIC DATE",
"") ... and the static date is the thing that is killing me. In addition, my
company's computers do not take kindly to macros, so if there is anyway that
I am able to do this through a function, that would be ideal. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This method does work, but be careful using it. The Iterations setting has a
habit of turning itself back off if you have a different workbook open prior
to opening this one. This should not affect any timestamps already in place,
but could prevent future timestamps from being applied accurately.

HTH,
Elkar

wrote:

So here's what I am trying to do:

I've created a pull-down list with a checkmark and I would like to create a
function for another cell that will insert the date that the checkmark was
added. The tricky part is getting that date to stay static instead of
changing to the computer's date (as with the TODAY() and NOW() functions). I
know that I have to us an IF function (like IF(A1=checkmark, "STATIC DATE",
"") ... and the static date is the thing that is killing me. In addition, my
company's computers do not take kindly to macros, so if there is anyway that
I am able to do this through a function, that would be ideal. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Elkar

Good point.

I personally would not use this method, preferring a change event to stamp the
cell.

OP wanted a non-VBA approach but I should have pointed out the caveat as you
did.

Gord

wrote:

So here's what I am trying to do:

I've created a pull-down list with a checkmark and I would like to create a
function for another cell that will insert the date that the checkmark was
added. The tricky part is getting that date to stay static instead of
changing to the computer's date (as with the TODAY() and NOW() functions). I
know that I have to us an IF function (like IF(A1=checkmark, "STATIC DATE",
"") ... and the static date is the thing that is killing me. In addition, my
company's computers do not take kindly to macros, so if there is anyway that
I am able to do this through a function, that would be ideal. Thanks!

How to add todays date (static) to the current active cell using m JimmyJam75 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 September 6th 06 11:23 AM
Need some comments on my Utility_Move class module. jchen Excel Worksheet Functions 0 August 21st 06 07:05 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Using date function in an if statement M Smith Excel Worksheet Functions 2 March 30th 05 06:53 PM