Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Counting Text as a Number

I am trying to "Count" a column which has text in it. I'm at a complete
loss. The count and sum formulas ignore text. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

use
=COUNTA()
--
Gary''s Student
gsnu200703

"Jan from ROF" wrote:

I am trying to "Count" a column which has text in it. I'm at a complete
loss. The count and sum formulas ignore text. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Tried this, but the total or count is off...by 5 in both columns

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

use
=COUNTA()
--
Gary''s Student
gsnu200703

"Jan from ROF" wrote:

I am trying to "Count" a column which has text in it. I'm at a complete
loss. The count and sum formulas ignore text. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Remember that COUNTA will count cells that APPEAR to be empty if they contain
a formula that is returning an empty string or a cell that contains spaces.

COUNTA will also count cells with numbers in them.
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200703

"Jan from ROF" wrote:

Tried this, but the total or count is off...by 5 in both columns

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

use
=COUNTA()
--
Gary''s Student
gsnu200703

"Jan from ROF" wrote:

I am trying to "Count" a column which has text in it. I'm at a complete
loss. The count and sum formulas ignore text. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Fixed...works....thanks!

"Jan from ROF" wrote:

Tried this, but the total or count is off...by 5 in both columns

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

use
=COUNTA()
--