Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default copying formula without scrolling 9000 rows

Any suggestions on how to copy a formula to 9000 rows?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assume the range to which the formula is being applied is A1:A9000, and the
formula is being applied to cells B1:B9000.

Go the bottom of the range by selecting cell A1 and hitting CTRL + down
arrow. Go to B9001 and enter a period, or some other holding character. Hit
CTRL + Up arrow to go to B1. Enter your formula. SHIFT + CTRL + DOWN arrow.
CTRL + D.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Any suggestions on how to copy a formula to 9000 rows?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Another way to do it is to use te address bar on the left of the formula bar.

1. Enter A1:A9000 in the address bar
2. control+c to copy it
3. Enter B1:B9000 in the address bar
3. control+v to paste it

Just a twist.
--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, Bangkok, Thailand

Any suggestions on how to copy a formula to 9000 rows?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Interesting. I try to do everything witht he keyboard and avoid the mouse.
But I can see how this would be easier to people used to using the mouse.....
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Any suggestions on how to copy a formula to 9000 rows?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I also like to use the keyboard, but I think this way is faster:

click on B1, then double-click the fill icon (the small black square
at the bottom of the cursor).

This will fill down for as many contiguous values as exist in column
A.

Pete

"Dave F" wrote:

Assume the range to which the formula is being applied is A1:A9000, and the
formula is being applied to cells B1:B9000.

Go the bottom of the range by selecting cell A1 and hitting CTRL + down
arrow. Go to B9001 and enter a period, or some other holding character. Hit
CTRL + Up arrow to go to B1. Enter your formula. SHIFT + CTRL + DOWN arrow.
CTRL + D.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"chiechka" wrote:

Any suggestions on how to copy a formula to 9000 rows?- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Dave F wrote...
Interesting. I try to do everything witht he keyboard and avoid the mouse.
But I can see how this would be easier to people used to using the mouse.....

If copying A1:A9000 to B1:B9000,

[Ctrl]+[Home]
[Shift]+[Ctrl]+[Down]
[Ctrl]+C
[right]
[Ctrl]+V

If copying B1 down into A1:A9000 with A1:A9000 filled in but B2:B9000
blank and B1 the active cell,

[Ctrl]+C
[Shift]+[left]
[Tab]
[Shift]+[Ctrl]+[Down]
[Tab]
[Shift]+[right]
[Ctrl]+V

or

[Ctrl]+C
[F5]B2:B9000[Enter]
[Ctrl]+V

Latter is quicker when you know the rows, but former is more general.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is very helpful. I used to be able to do something similar when using
Lotus 123, but had not been able to make it work in Excel. One thing, I
can't seem to make the steps using Tab work What I did, for a smaller test
range, FWIW was:
To copy from B1 to B2:B(whatever) where whatever is the corresponding range
in A that has data in it (in my case, with no blanks interspersed)
from B1, Cntl-c
shift-left
shift-end-down
shift-right
cntl-v

BTW, I did try following the steps exactly, but may not have as I was
switching back-and-forth between Outlook Express and Excel.

--
Kevin Vaughn

"Harlan Grove" wrote in message
ups.com...
Dave F wrote...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Kevin Vaughn" wrote...
This is very helpful. I used to be able to do something similar when using
Lotus 123, but had not been able to make it work in Excel. One thing, I
can't seem to make the steps using Tab work What I did, for a smaller test
range, FWIW was:

You have Transition Navigation Keys enabled. With A1:A10 filled in
(none blank), B1 filled in but the rest of column B blank, B1:A1
selected with B1 the active cell, [Shift]+[End] [Shift]+[Down] selects
B1:A10 with Transition Navigation Keys enabled but B1:A65536 with
Transition Navigation Keys disabled. That is, 123-like [End],[arrow
key] sequences extend from the last cell in the selected range, in
this example from A1 down to A10. Excel-like [End], [arrow key] (or
[Ctrl]+[arrow key]) sequences extend from the first cell in the
selected range, in this example from B1 down to B65536. IMO, this is
one place Lotus got it right and Microsoft wrong - most users would
likely prefer the 123-like behavior.