Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default description of countif criteria?

Does a description exist in a book or website of valid countif criteria?
For example - =COUNTIF(A$7:A$15,2) works

=COUNTIF(A$7:A$15,"=2") also works, but
=COUNTIF(A$7:A$15,"=1+1") does not work

I don't need an answer to a specific example, just a place to go and read on
my own.

Thanks in advance for any help received.
--
jake
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The second argument in COUNTIF is not a formula, but a criteria. So you can
build an expression like the one you gave

=COUNTIF(A$7:A$15,"="&1+1)

but you cannot pass it directly.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Jakobshavn Isbrae" wrote in
message ...
Does a description exist in a book or website of valid countif criteria?
For example - =COUNTIF(A$7:A$15,2) works

=COUNTIF(A$7:A$15,"=2") also works, but
=COUNTIF(A$7:A$15,"=1+1") does not work

I don't need an answer to a specific example, just a place to go and read

on
my own.

Thanks in advance for any help received.
--
jake

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Bob & Don:

First, thank you both very much for taking the time to help me.

Second, where would you suggest is a good place to find out about this
stuff. Your responses helped me, but Excel Help did not.

People keep telling me "everybody knows"

"everybody knows" that wildcards work with countif, but not the substitute
function.
"everybody knows" that sum works across completely separate cells, but sumif
does not.

Can you recommend a book that I can study that will tell me "what everybody
knows" but me?
--
jake

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

The second argument in COUNTIF is not a formula, but a criteria. So you can
build an expression like the one you gave

=COUNTIF(A$7:A$15,"="&1+1)

but you cannot pass it directly.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Jakobshavn Isbrae" wrote in
message ...
Does a description exist in a book or website of valid countif criteria?
For example - =COUNTIF(A$7:A$15,2) works

=COUNTIF(A$7:A$15,"=2") also works, but
=COUNTIF(A$7:A$15,"=1+1") does not work

I don't need an answer to a specific example, just a place to go and read

on
my own.

Thanks in advance for any help received.
--
jake

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Not really, because not everybody knows, and we all know something
different.

Just watch this group, reading the posts and the responses, you will learn a
lot.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Jakobshavn Isbrae" wrote in
message ...

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

The second argument in COUNTIF is not a formula, but a criteria. So you

can
build an expression like the one you gave

=COUNTIF(A$7:A$15,"="&1+1)

but you cannot pass it directly.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

addy)

"Jakobshavn Isbrae" wrote

in
message ...
Does a description exist in a book or website of valid countif

criteria?
For example - =COUNTIF(A$7:A$15,2) works

=COUNTIF(A$7:A$15,"=2") also works, but
=COUNTIF(A$7:A$15,"=1+1") does not work

I don't need an answer to a specific example, just a place to go and

read
on
my own.

Thanks in advance for any help received.
--
jake

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I believe what you're looking for can be labeled "experience", for, as you
realize, there are just too many fuzzy questions to be answered in any one,
single place.

I've suggested this to others, and they've acknowledged that it was a "good"
start:

http://tinyurl.com/2bah9v

--
HTH,