Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default vLOOKUP

Hi,
I am trying to run a VLOOKUP, but I am using dates. I don't think that
VLOOKUP allows dates?
I have one column containing certain dates. I have another column containing
all dates in a range. I would like to assign each value in the range of dates
a "1" if there is a date in my "certain dates" column to match and a "0" if
it there is no match. (For the purposes of running a specific statistical
analysis in another program.)
Is there anyway to run a VLOOKUP with dates? I also tried converting the
dates to "numbers" or "text" but it still does not work....
Thanks!
Ashley
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

VLOOKUP allows dates. Post your formula and someone can diagnose it for you.
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Ashley" wrote:

Hi,
I am trying to run a VLOOKUP, but I am using dates. I don't think that
VLOOKUP allows dates?
I have one column containing certain dates. I have another column containing
all dates in a range. I would like to assign each value in the range of dates
a "1" if there is a date in my "certain dates" column to match and a "0" if
it there is no match. (For the purposes of running a specific statistical
analysis in another program.)
Is there anyway to run a VLOOKUP with dates? I also tried converting the
dates to "numbers" or "text" but it still does not work....
Thanks!
Ashley

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

My formula is:
=VLOOKUP(A:A,B:B,D1,FALSE)
Whe
Column A is the list of specific dates
Colunm B is the number "1" for each record of column A
Column D is the range of inclusive dates
Column E (E1, specifically) is where I enter this formula (where I want a
"1" to be returned, if there is a match)
Column C is blank

When I run this formula, I get "#N/A".

Does it also work with a date + time value (ie 1/12/2006 16:00:00)?

Thanks,
Ashley

"Ashley" wrote:

Hi,
I am trying to run a VLOOKUP, but I am using dates. I don't think that
VLOOKUP allows dates?
I have one column containing certain dates. I have another column containing
all dates in a range. I would like to assign each value in the range of dates
a "1" if there is a date in my "certain dates" column to match and a "0" if
it there is no match. (For the purposes of running a specific statistical
analysis in another program.)
Is there anyway to run a VLOOKUP with dates? I also tried converting the
dates to "numbers" or "text" but it still does not work....
Thanks!
Ashley

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't believe VLOOKUP can use entire columns as references.

VLOOKUP typically has the following syntax: =VLOOKUP(A1,B1:F200,4,FALSE)

So something is missing in your formula below. Some thoughts:
1)What is the value you want to match? That's the first element of VLOOKUP
and it has to be a discrete cell, not an entire column.
2) What is the range you want to look in? Again, this range can't reference
an entire column.
3) How many columns horizontally to the right do you want XL to look to
match the value? You don't specify this.

Dave

--
Brevity is the soul of wit.