Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default HYPERLINK to a doc with a "#" in the name

I'm trying to add a hyperlink in excel to a pdf document that has a "#" in
the title such as 2359, #0006.pdf

I've tried replacing the "#" with %23, which was suggested to me, but does
not seem to work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

How are you trying to insert the hyperlink? With the =HYPERLINK() function?
Via the Insert menu? Give us some more information on how you're trying to
get this done, what error(s) you are getting, etc.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Excel Curious" wrote:

I'm trying to add a hyperlink in excel to a pdf document that has a "#" in
the title such as 2359, #0006.pdf

I've tried replacing the "#" with %23, which was suggested to me, but does
not seem to work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I've been trying to insert the hyperlink using both the =HYPERLINK() function
and Insert Hyperlink from the Insert menu (then navigating to the specific
file).
My hyperlink function looks something like this:
=HYPERLINK("F:\Group\No #, Q41159.pdf","click here")

The error message I'm getting is: "cannot open the specified file"

"Excel Curious" wrote:

I'm trying to add a hyperlink in excel to a pdf document that has a "#" in
the title such as 2359, #0006.pdf

I've tried replacing the "#" with %23, which was suggested to me, but does
not seem to work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Perhaps the PDF file is corrupted? What happens when you try to open the
file from Windows explorer or internet explorer? Can you open it then?
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Excel Curious" wrote:

I'm trying to add a hyperlink in excel to a pdf document that has a "#" in
the title such as 2359, #0006.pdf

I've tried replacing the "#" with %23, which was suggested to me, but does
not seem to work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think you'll have to rename the file.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/202261
You cannot use a pound character in a file name for a hyperlink in an Office
program

Excel Curious wrote:

I'm trying to add a hyperlink in excel to a pdf document that has a "#" in
the title such as 2359, #0006.pdf

I've tried replacing the "#" with %23, which was suggested to me, but does
not seem to work.

--

Dave Peterson