Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sum will not display

I created a spreadsheet that will give my team points in different
categories based on productivity. I used the IF function to calculate the
points

ex:
1 A B
2 results points earned
3 15 IF(A310,"15")

B3 will show the points earned for the reults entered in A3. Each category
has two rows such as this across the spreadsheet, one to enter the results,
and one to figure the points received basd on the results. Now I am trying to
figure the total points each person recieved in a total points column by
using the function sum=b3,d3, .... But it will not add the points columns
together for some reason.

Does anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks
--
EOCSUP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Unless you have a typo, your formula will not work.

=SUM(B3,D3) would be more likely to produce a result.

Or just =B3+D3

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 12:43:00 -0800, EOCSUP
wrote:

I created a spreadsheet that will give my team points in different
categories based on productivity. I used the IF function to calculate the
points

ex:
1 A B
2 results points earned
3 15 IF(A310,"15")

B3 will show the points earned for the reults entered in A3. Each category
has two rows such as this across the spreadsheet, one to enter the results,
and one to figure the points received basd on the results. Now I am trying to
figure the total points each person recieved in a total points column by
using the function sum=b3,d3, .... But it will not add the points columns
together for some reason.

Does anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the quick reply BOB.

That gave me an error.

The columns figuring the points received work fine. It is the total points
received when I am trying to total all of the points columns that will not
add up. It should be a simple sum of all of the points columns, but when i
try to use =SUM and then choose all of the points columns, it will not add
them up, it just shows 0
--
EOCSUP

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Change the formula to

IF(A310,15,"")

--
---
HTH

Bob

"EOCSUP" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry for the caps in your name, no yelling intended :-(
--
EOCSUP

"EOCSUP" wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply BOB.

That gave me an error.

The columns figuring the points received work fine. It is the total points
received when I am trying to total all of the points columns that will not
add up. It should be a simple sum of all of the points columns, but when i
try to use =SUM and then choose all of the points columns, it will not add
them up, it just shows 0
--
EOCSUP

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Change the formula to

IF(A310,15,"")

--
---
HTH

Bob

"EOCSUP" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Good eyes<g

Here's wishing you and yours a great 2007 Bob.

Gord

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 20:47:02 -0000, "Bob Phillips" wrote:

Change the formula to

IF(A310,15,"")

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks, but I think you should re-read Bob's post.

You have created "numbers" that are text by enclosing them in quotes "15"

=B3+D3 will work with text numbers but not with other functions like =SUM or
=AVERAGE

And a Happy New Year to yourself.

Gord

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 13:08:00 -0800, EOCSUP
wrote:

I was using your first example, and it wanted the second. It worked. Thank
you soo much! Happy New Year to you.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Good eyes<g

Here's wishing you and yours a great 2007 Bob.

Have a great one yourself Gord.