Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How can I find birthdays for January from a list

I have a long list of names with birthdates. When I sort from A to Z it puts
them in ascending date order. How can I find just the birthdates in a given
month, regardless of year?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Lynn

I think you should either use a pivot table and look at the Grouping
feature (you can group data by month for example), or use a helper
column to identify what month the birthday is in, so that you can use
that to filter on. An example of such a helper would be:

(Assumes birthdates in A col)

=TEXT(A1,"mmmm")

which will return January,February etc. You can then filter on this
column (using Autofilter).

Does this help?

Richard

Lynn wrote:
I have a long list of names with birthdates. When I sort from A to Z it puts
them in ascending date order. How can I find just the birthdates in a given
month, regardless of year?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You have several options....

Here's one:

With
A5:A100 contains names, with A1: Name
B5:B100 contains birthdates, with B1: Birthdate

Then..try this
A1: Jan
B1: MonthTest (or Blank or any other text that is NOT a column heading)
B2: =TEXT(B6,"mmm")=$A$1

Select A5:B100
Then....From the Excel main menu:
<data<filter<advanced filter
List Range: $A$5:$B$100
Criteria Range: $B$1:$B$2
Click the [OK] button

Only names with Birthdays in January will be visible.

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Lynn" wrote:

I have a long list of names with birthdates. When I sort from A to Z it puts
them in ascending date order. How can I find just the birthdates in a given
month, regardless of year?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

The easiest way - add a column where you calculate the month from birthdate
=MONTH(Birthdate)
, or
=TEXT(Birthdate,"mmmm")
(replace Birthdate with cell reference)
, and the use autofilter to display only records for desired month.

Sorting your data isn't obligatory, unless you want filtered records to be
displayed in date order.

Arvi Laanemets

"Lynn" wrote in message
I have a long list of names with birthdates. When I sort from A to Z it

puts
them in ascending date order. How can I find just the birthdates in a

given
month, regardless of year?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming Column B contain birthday dates
Create a helper column in C
C2 =MONTH(B2)
copy down as far as needed
Sort on column C

"Lynn" wrote:

I have a long list of names with birthdates. When I sort from A to Z it puts
them in ascending date order. How can I find just the birthdates in a given
month, regardless of year?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ummmm...typo

The column headings should be
A5: Name
B5: Birthdate

(Instead of A1 and B1, respectively)

By way of atoning for that....
Here's another option, using Conditional Formatting

Using my posted example:
Select A6:A100
<format<conditional formatting
Formula is: =TEXT(B6,"mmm")=$A$1
Click the [format] button and set a bright bacground color
Clidk the [OK] buttons and you're done

Now...all names with a birthdate in the month entered in A1 will highlight.

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

You have several options....

Here's one:

With
A5:A100 contains names, with A1: Name
B5:B100 contains birthdates, with B1: Birthdate

Then..try this
A1: Jan
B1: MonthTest (or Blank or any other text that is NOT a column heading)
B2: =TEXT(B6,"mmm")=$A$1

Select A5:B100
Then....From the Excel main menu:
<data<filter<advanced filter