Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default creating a custom list of numbers

Hi all

I have created several custom lists using Tools|Options|Custom Lists,
however, I would like to create one which consists of numbers rather than
words. The numbers I want to use are not in any particular order and are
4-digits long.

I have tried to create these but when I try to use it as a list, Excel
simply increments the original figure by one, as if it doesn't recognise it
as part of a list.

Is it possible to create custom lists which consist of numbers?

Thank you.
Louise
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Louise

If these 'numbers' are not going to be used in calculations e.g part
numbers, then prefix with a single apostrophe ' and you will be able to set
up the list (The apostrophe won't show)
--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Louise" wrote in message
Hi all

I have created several custom lists using Tools|Options|Custom Lists,
however, I would like to create one which consists of numbers rather than
words. The numbers I want to use are not in any particular order and are
4-digits long.

I have tried to create these but when I try to use it as a list, Excel
simply increments the original figure by one, as if it doesn't recognise
it
as part of a list.

Is it possible to create custom lists which consist of numbers?

Thank you.
Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for your reply, however, I tried that but when I drag it across, it
fills in the next numerical number, not the one from my list.

Do I need to do anything else??

Louise

"Louise" wrote in message
Hi all

I have created several custom lists using Tools|Options|Custom Lists,
however, I would like to create one which consists of numbers rather than
words. The numbers I want to use are not in any particular order and are
4-digits long.

I have tried to create these but when I try to use it as a list, Excel
simply increments the original figure by one, as if it doesn't recognise
it
as part of a list.

Is it possible to create custom lists which consist of numbers?

Thank you.
Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

After you have created the list using Nick's apostrophe method and imported to
the custom list, enter any one of the items in a cell.......prefaced with an
apostrophe...........then drag that across.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Louise" wrote in message
Hi all

I have created several custom lists using Tools|Options|Custom Lists,
however, I would like to create one which consists of numbers rather than
words. The numbers I want to use are not in any particular order and are
4-digits long.

I have tried to create these but when I try to use it as a list, Excel
simply increments the original figure by one, as if it doesn't recognise
it
as part of a list.

Is it possible to create custom lists which consist of numbers?

Thank you.
Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am aware of how custom lists work, I have several set up, however, I tried
this going straight to Tools, Options and creating the list direct in the
dialog. This method didn't work. However, if I create it on the worksheet
and import it through to the dialog box it worked fine.

Thanks all for the help.

Louise

"Louise" wrote in message
Hi all

I have created several custom lists using Tools|Options|Custom Lists,
however, I would like to create one which consists of numbers rather than
words. The numbers I want to use are not in any particular order and are
4-digits long.

I have tried to create these but when I try to use it as a list, Excel
simply increments the original figure by one, as if it doesn't recognise
it
as part of a list.

Is it possible to create custom lists which consist of numbers?

Thank you.
Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the added information.

I have never used the direct input method.

I just enter the list in a range of cells then import to Custom Lists.

Gord