Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Summary File

I am working on making a summary file that takes selected values from other
files and putting them in another file for a quick comparison. Currently I
have it setup where each cell is individually linked to the file and cell
location where it will take the values from. I am trying to figure out how I
can make it do it in a batch, where I tell it what file to look at and it
will take the specified values and put it in the summary file. Instead of me
manually putting in the link each time in the summary file (120 values each
time). The values are in the same locations in each of the files I am taking
it from so it shouldnt be this time consuming.

Any suggestions appreciated,
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Look on my Tips page for a few examples
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Pitch4PD" wrote in message ...
I am working on making a summary file that takes selected values from other
files and putting them in another file for a quick comparison. Currently I
have it setup where each cell is individually linked to the file and cell
location where it will take the values from. I am trying to figure out how I
can make it do it in a batch, where I tell it what file to look at and it
will take the specified values and put it in the summary file. Instead of me
manually putting in the link each time in the summary file (120 values each
time). The values are in the same locations in each of the files I am taking
it from so it shouldnt be this time consuming.

Any suggestions appreciated,
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am not looking to sum or modify the data in the Summary file, just looking
to display select values from each file. Here is a small example how I have
it setup now
|='[ED637.xls]Washing Log'!$BB$5 | ='[ED637.xls]Washing Log'!$V$7 |
|='[ED637.xls]Washing Log'!$BB$6 | ='[ED637.xls]Washing Log'!$V$8 |
|='[ED637.xls]Washing Log'!$BB$7 | ='[ED637.xls]Washing Log'!$V$9 |
|='[ED637.xls]Washing Log'!$BB$8 | ='[ED637.xls]Washing Log'!$V$10 |

I have these links setup for each value I need, the only thing that changes
is the file name, IE all the ED637's become ED638..... that is all I have to
change for each value, but it is a long task when it is over 100 values for
each file. I wish I could explain this better but like I said in my first
post I aprecciate any ideas I can get.

Thank you again.

"Pitch4PD" wrote:

I am working on making a summary file that takes selected values from other
files and putting them in another file for a quick comparison. Currently I
have it setup where each cell is individually linked to the file and cell
location where it will take the values from. I am trying to figure out how I
can make it do it in a batch, where I tell it what file to look at and it
will take the specified values and put it in the summary file. Instead of me
manually putting in the link each time in the summary file (120 values each
time). The values are in the same locations in each of the files I am taking
it from so it shouldnt be this time consuming.

Any suggestions appreciated,
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That helped alot but now my next problem is that I have multiple worksheets
that I have to take the values from in each file. Is there anyway for the
macro to adjust to the multiple worksheets in a file?

"Pitch4PD" wrote in message ...
I am working on making a summary file that takes selected values from other
files and putting them in another file for a quick comparison. Currently I
have it setup where each cell is individually linked to the file and cell
location where it will take the values from. I am trying to figure out how I
can make it do it in a batch, where I tell it what file to look at and it
will take the specified values and put it in the summary file. Instead of me
manually putting in the link each time in the summary file (120 values each
time). The values are in the same locations in each of the files I am taking
it from so it shouldnt be this time consuming.

Any suggestions appreciated,
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Pitch4PD

I try to make a example for you tomorrow after work

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Pitch4PD" wrote in message ...
I am working on making a summary file that takes selected values from other
files and putting them in another file for a quick comparison. Currently I
have it setup where each cell is individually linked to the file and cell
location where it will take the values from. I am trying to figure out how I
can make it do it in a batch, where I tell it what file to look at and it
will take the specified values and put it in the summary file. Instead of me
manually putting in the link each time in the summary file (120 values each
time). The values are in the same locations in each of the files I am taking
it from so it shouldnt be this time consuming.

Any suggestions appreciated,
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think I figured out a solution.....I have the links I allready made
modified so all I need to do is paste them in the file I want a summary for,
then take that and copy it over to the summary file. It takes longer then a
script but 5 minutes of work instead of 50 works for me.

Thanks for all the help.