Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sheet Reference is not working

So I seem to have a rather unique bug.
When I try to create a formula with an off sheet reference excel does not
behave form me as it should.

Scenario
1) type "=" in some cell to initiate formula
2) Click on a separate sheet
3) Click an arbitrary cell
4) Enter

What I expect to happen is that the cell original cell gets populated with
"=<sheet name!<Cell"

What actually happens is the formula either gets populated in the cell on
the sheet where I clicked in step 3.

In the formula cell detail at the top as I can see the formula being defined
correctly.
If I manually enter in the information the formula will work
If I copy a formula from page to page it will work

The issue here is that this is a really painful bug because I can no longer
create simple off sheet references without explicitly typing them in.

I can't understand what setting has gone wrong here to cause this

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Kevin,

Tell me what your cell displays - the formula or the value. Is it that you
are not able to give a link with "=" so you have to type in even the
reference. I am not clear on your bug. Please clarify so that I can solve the
problem.

"Kevin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Viha,
Sadly the original cell shows nothing in it never gets populated.

The corresponding cell on the sheet selected in step 3 will get populated
with the following =Sheetname!#Ref

detail example:
If selecting cell X1 on SheetA
then Cell X1 on SheetB would be populated with the formula. It's as if when
the Enter key is pressed there is something interfering with the switch back
to the source sheet and instead the formula entered is placed on the current
sheet

BTW the formula will execute so it is not that the cell is formatted as text.

In the mean time I believe I may have corrected the error by reinstalling
Office (repair)

Cheers
kevin