Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Ranking exam marks

I have to rank a range of exam marks based on frequency of grades.
I have three outcomes in 3 columns which I need to condense into one final
ranking.
-the first condition returns a 0 or a 1, if a 1 occurs this is a fail, i
need to display a rank of 1. If a 0 occurs pass to the next outcome.
-the second condition returns 0 - 5, if the mark is between 1 and 5 I need
the final rank to display that grade 1-5, if an 0 occurs to pass to the third
condition, which is a higher grade.
-so if the first two columns show 0, the third outcome is the final grade.

So far I have tried to use:

=IF(E3=1,E3,IF(F3=1,F3,IF(E3+F3=0,G3,IF(AND(E3=1,F 3=1),E3,IF(F31,F3,G3)))))

but this is not quite right!!

please please can anyone help!?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hiya
thanks for helping.
however this doesn't carry over the 3rd column to become the final mark if
the first 2 are 0...

"Angela B" wrote in message
I have to rank a range of exam marks based on frequency of grades.
I have three outcomes in 3 columns which I need to condense into one final
ranking.
-the first condition returns a 0 or a 1, if a 1 occurs this is a fail, i
need to display a rank of 1. If a 0 occurs pass to the next outcome.
-the second condition returns 0 - 5, if the mark is between 1 and 5 I need
the final rank to display that grade 1-5, if an 0 occurs to pass to the
third
condition, which is a higher grade.
-so if the first two columns show 0, the third outcome is the final grade.

So far I have tried to use:

=IF(E3=1,E3,IF(F3=1,F3,IF(E3+F3=0,G3,IF(AND(E3=1,F 3=1),E3,IF(F31,F3,G3)))))

but this is not quite right!!

please please can anyone help!?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

it works in all respects except for where a 1 occurs in the first column (e3)
and a 2,3,4 or 5 occurs in the second (say F3). i need the mark of 1 in the
first to override all other outcomes, but it is giving me a 2 etc. (the f3
result) in the final mark.

Hope this makes sense

thanks again,

"Angela B" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No it doesn't make sense. Again it works for me. When I have a 1 in cell
E3, I get a value of 1 as the result. Are you convinced that you've got a 1
in E3 and that your formula is the same as mine? Exactly what values do you
have in E3, F3, and G3, and what result do you get from my formula? Have
you got in E3 something which isn't actually numerically equal to 1, either
because it is text, or because it is the result of a calculation which gives
something close to 1 but not equal to 1?
--
David Biddulph