Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default AutoSum

Hi Everyone!
In one particular worksheet, when I try to AutoSum a column of numbers, all
I get is the formula, i.e. "=SUM(A1:A1000)". (If I highlight the column I
can see the sum at the bottom right hand corner).
Can anyone suggest what I might have done wrong???
Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Carmel
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Carmel, sounds like the cell is formatted as text, format to something else,
general or number... and try it again
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Carmel R" wrote in message
Hi Everyone!
In one particular worksheet, when I try to AutoSum a column of numbers,
all
I get is the formula, i.e. "=SUM(A1:A1000)". (If I highlight the column I
can see the sum at the bottom right hand corner).
Can anyone suggest what I might have done wrong???
Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Carmel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Paul,
Thanks, but I already checked that and changed everything that was text to
'number'. I've randomly checked the formatting of 10 or so cells out of the
thousand and they are indeed set to number. They are whole integers so I
display them with no decimal places. Could that be the problem?
Carmel

"Carmel R" wrote in message
Hi Everyone!
In one particular worksheet, when I try to AutoSum a column of numbers,
all
I get is the formula, i.e. "=SUM(A1:A1000)". (If I highlight the column I
can see the sum at the bottom right hand corner).
Can anyone suggest what I might have done wrong???
Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Carmel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Newsflash!
As a result of your reply, I've just changed the format to General and that
sorted the problem! (Why??)

Thanks, Paul!
Carmel

"Carmel R" wrote in message
Hi Everyone!
In one particular worksheet, when I try to AutoSum a column of numbers,
all
I get is the formula, i.e. "=SUM(A1:A1000)". (If I highlight the column I
can see the sum at the bottom right hand corner).
Can anyone suggest what I might have done wrong???
Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Carmel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Carmel, changing to number format should work, but you have to reenter the
formula, or double click it, to get it to work
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003