Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default excel vlookup not working correctly

I'm using vlookup in Excel 2003 to return exact matches from another sheet
and it has some error where it returns the #N/A error for a few values, even
though the matching target is present. I don't think it's user error -- I can
open the same file in Open Office Calc and all the values are correctly
returned. Is there any fix for this? I have all the current patches applied.
--
Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Post the exact formula you're using. Also, describe how the lookup
table is organized--i.e., is it sorted by the lookup criteria, and, if
so, how is it sorted?

Dave
Steve wrote:
I'm using vlookup in Excel 2003 to return exact matches from another sheet
and it has some error where it returns the #N/A error for a few values, even
though the matching target is present. I don't think it's user error -- I can
open the same file in Open Office Calc and all the values are correctly
returned. Is there any fix for this? I have all the current patches applied.
--
Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 14:12:02 -0700, Steve
wrote:

I'm using vlookup in Excel 2003 to return exact matches from another sheet
and it has some error where it returns the #N/A error for a few values, even
though the matching target is present. I don't think it's user error -- I can
open the same file in Open Office Calc and all the values are correctly
returned. Is there any fix for this? I have all the current patches applied.

Bugs of this nature have not been reported that I am aware of. It is likely
that your lookup values and targets are subtly different.

Assuming range_lookup is FALSE, it could be something like a number formatted
as text.

If you post formula, data, and any formulas used to generate that data (and the
precedents), you'll be more likely to obtain a result.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Find an example in your data where you think they are the same but give an
#N/A in the formula, and then in any other cell, just do =Cell1=Cell2 using
your two values. If it says FALSE then no matter what you are seeing, they
are NOT the same.

If the data is text then look at leading/trailing spaces as a root cause,
and if it is numeric then look at decimal precision.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03