Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
VU2IM

Default Double clicking an Excel file is not working. What's wrong?

I was creating an Excel macro, when once an option was asked - save to
Personal.xls or so. Normally, I save the Macros to the same file or a
different file, but once, I might have accidently clicked Pesonal.xls.

Now everytime, I open Excel, the Personal.xls is launched. So far so good.

From today, what is happening that double-clicking a file is not launching
the file, rather a blank Excel program with all sheets closed. Then I created
a dummy Macro and it got saved to Personal.xls and now, I am double-clicking
a file and Personal.xls is getting launched.

If I open, the file through Start -All Programs- MicroSoft Office -
Excel, then I can launch the program, but that is tedious.

Uninstalling and re-installing Excel has not helped.

Has any one seen such problem before? Any clues?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Try the usual fix(es) for this problem.

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 13:53:01 -0700, VU2IM
wrote:

I was creating an Excel macro, when once an option was asked - save to
Personal.xls or so. Normally, I save the Macros to the same file or a
different file, but once, I might have accidently clicked Pesonal.xls.

Now everytime, I open Excel, the Personal.xls is launched. So far so good.

From today, what is happening that double-clicking a file is not launching
the file, rather a blank Excel program with all sheets closed. Then I created
a dummy Macro and it got saved to Personal.xls and now, I am double-clicking
a file and Personal.xls is getting launched.

If I open, the file through Start -All Programs- MicroSoft Office -
Excel, then I can launch the program, but that is tedious.

Uninstalling and re-installing Excel has not helped.

Has any one seen such problem before? Any clues?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
VU2IM

Thanks Gord,
ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications" did help to
launch the Excel file.
But now another file - Personal.xls (blank file) also gets launched along
with requested file.
Thanks,

wrote:

I was creating an Excel macro, when once an option was asked - save to
Personal.xls or so. Normally, I save the Macros to the same file or a
different file, but once, I might have accidently clicked Pesonal.xls.

Now everytime, I open Excel, the Personal.xls is launched. So far so good.

From today, what is happening that double-clicking a file is not launching
the file, rather a blank Excel program with all sheets closed. Then I created
a dummy Macro and it got saved to Personal.xls and now, I am double-clicking
a file and Personal.xls is getting launched.

If I open, the file through Start -All Programs- MicroSoft Office -
Excel, then I can launch the program, but that is tedious.

Uninstalling and re-installing Excel has not helped.

Has any one seen such problem before? Any clues?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Personal.xls would have been created if you recorded a macro to your "Personal
Macro Workbook".

It may look blank, but it has macro code in a module.

Hit ALT + F11 to see the module and code.

If you don't want Personal.xls opening you can move it out of the XLSTART folder
or you can hide it so's it opens hidden in the background.

With Pewrsonal.xls open, hit WindowHide and close Excel. You will be asked if
you want to save changes to Personal.xls.

Click yes.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

wrote:

I was creating an Excel macro, when once an option was asked - save to
Personal.xls or so. Normally, I save the Macros to the same file or a
different file, but once, I might have accidently clicked Pesonal.xls.

Now everytime, I open Excel, the Personal.xls is launched. So far so good.

From today, what is happening that double-clicking a file is not launching