Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SE SE is offline

Default How to make IF function not change cell value?

How do I make a IF function do this? IF(CELL1 = X ,CELL1,CELL2) The formula
is located in CELL2. When the IF function is false, then I want the value in
CELL2 to stay the same. I get a circular reference with this format.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can't.

CELL2 either has a value in it or a formula; it can't have both.

You will get a circular reference because the formula contains a reference
to the cell that contains it

Regards

Trevor

"SE" wrote in message
How do I make a IF function do this? IF(CELL1 = X ,CELL1,CELL2) The
formula
is located in CELL2. When the IF function is false, then I want the value
in
CELL2 to stay the same. I get a circular reference with this format.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

SE...if you are used on having large volume of formulas wherein you require
optimized result like mostly in engineering,,,circular referencing is like a
solver technique....go to optionscalculationsManualiterations type 1...u
can avoid the circular ref. pop-up window....most users thought that excel
provide the circular ref pop up window as an error message but it is
not....believe me...
--
"Bright minds are blessed to those who share them.."-rsb.