Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default function to change cell position and allows dragging

I want to enter a formula that will reference a particular cell, and then
allow me to drag the formula down so it references every third cell.

So, if my data is:
1 XOM
2 WFT
3 SLB
4 HD
5 LOW
6 BAC
7 GE
8 MSFT

(Imagine the list is much longer) and I would like to write a formula that
allows me to create a smaller list composed of every third entry. So the
first entry would be XOM, then when I dragged the formula down, the next cell
would be HD, then GE, and so forth. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Tarheel9328 wrote:
I want to enter a formula that will reference a particular cell, and then
allow me to drag the formula down so it references every third cell.

So, if my data is:
1 XOM
2 WFT
3 SLB
4 HD
5 LOW
6 BAC
7 GE
8 MSFT

(Imagine the list is much longer) and I would like to write a formula that
allows me to create a smaller list composed of every third entry. So the
first entry would be XOM, then when I dragged the formula down, the next cell
would be HD, then GE, and so forth. Any ideas?

B1 formula... =A1
B2 formula... =INDIRECT("A" & ROW()*3 - 2)

Filldown formula in B2

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ken Johnson wrote:
Tarheel9328 wrote:
[...]

Actually B1 formula... =INDIRECT("A" & ROW()*3 - 2) then filldown B1

Ken Johnson