Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default extract first name only from full name

I have a cell that contains last name, first name. I would like to extract
the first name and put in seperate cell. As an example if A1 = Smith John I
would like to have A2 = John and A3 = Smith Please advise.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

A2 =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1))
A3 =LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)

" KB916521 Junk Update Office 2003 -A" wrote:

I have a cell that contains last name, first name. I would like to extract
the first name and put in seperate cell. As an example if A1 = Smith John I
would like to have A2 = John and A3 = Smith Please advise.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If there is no comma between the last and first name, then the given
formulas will work. However, if there is a comma between the names (ex.
Smith, John), then you'll need to adjust the formula slightly. In that
case, I'd prefer to find the comma and go from there.

First Name =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-(FIND(",",A1)+1))
Last Name =LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1)

Regards,
Paul