Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
PCLIVE PCLIVE is offline

Default extract first name only from full name

If there is no comma between the last and first name, then the given
formulas will work. However, if there is a comma between the names (ex.
Smith, John), then you'll need to adjust the formula slightly. In that
case, I'd prefer to find the comma and go from there.

First Name =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-(FIND(",",A1)+1))
Last Name =LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1)

Regards,
Paul

"Teethless mama" wrote in message
Try this:

A2 =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1))
A3 =LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)

" KB916521 Junk Update Office 2003 -A" wrote:

I have a cell that contains last name, first name. I would like to
extract
the first name and put in seperate cell. As an example if A1 = Smith John
would like to have A2 = John and A3 = Smith Please advise.