Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to give access to certain cells in the protected worksheet ?

Suppose I protected the whole worksheet (Tools Protection Protect Sheet).
How do I give access only to certain cells so that users could make changes
in them, but not in the rest area of the worksheet ? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

fbagirov wrote:
Suppose I protected the whole worksheet (Tools Protection Protect Sheet).
How do I give access only to certain cells so that users could make changes
in them, but not in the rest area of the worksheet ? Thanks!

format, Cells, Protect

untick locked

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks! One more question - there is a hidden worksheet in the workbook,
protected by password. Every time the user is entering the data into unlocked
cells of the unprotected worksheet, Excel is asking for a password. How do I
stop it ? Thanks!

"GRM via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

fbagirov wrote:
Suppose I protected the whole worksheet (Tools Protection Protect Sheet).
How do I give access only to certain cells so that users could make changes
in them, but not in the rest area of the worksheet ? Thanks!

format, Cells, Protect

untick locked

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The whole idea of hiding AND protecting a spreadsheet is to protect access.
So either
1 Unhide the sheet or
2 Hide but don't protect the sheet or
3 Give the user the password

fbagirov wrote:
Thanks! One more question - there is a hidden worksheet in the workbook,
protected by password. Every time the user is entering the data into unlocked
cells of the unprotected worksheet, Excel is asking for a password. How do I
stop it ? Thanks!

Suppose I protected the whole worksheet (Tools Protection Protect Sheet).
How do I give access only to certain cells so that users could make changes

[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]

untick locked

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

By default all cells are locked when the sheet is protected.

Hit CRTL + A(twice if xl2003) then FormatCellsProtection. Uncheck "locked"
and OK.

Select the cells you wish to lock and FormatCellsProtection. Check "locked"
and OK.

Now ToolsProtectionProtect Sheet. This is mandatory.

You can set a password to unprotect. These can easily be broken in Excel but
will keep your formulas from being accidentally overwritten.

NOTE the options available in xl2002 and 2003 when you hit Protect Sheet

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 06:33:02 -0700, fbagirov
wrote:

Suppose I protected the whole worksheet (Tools Protection Protect Sheet).
How do I give access only to certain cells so that users could make changes
in them, but not in the rest area of the worksheet ? Thanks!

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP