Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I have formatting toolbar active for the unprotected(unlocked) cells of the protected worksheet???

How can I have formatting options like merge cells ,Making Bold etc
active for the unlocked cells of the protected worksheet.Is it possible

in excel?

I locked Few cells of the worksheet and protected it.I want rest all
unlocked cells in the sheet to be allowed to formatted like merging the

unlcoked cells,aligning etc.The moment I protect the sheet the
formatting toolbar gets faded and doesn't allow even the unlocked cells

to be formatted .Is there a way I can allow the unlocked cells of
protected sheet to use the toolbars options??Plz reply if itsnot
possible.....

Regards,
sanam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel is a lot of things. Versions XP and 2003 has lots of options in the
protect dialog, where you can allow formatting, filtering and other things
on the locked sheet. Version 2000 and down does not have this.

No version allows formatting of unlocked cells /only/.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"sanam" skrev i melding
ups.com...
How can I have formatting options like merge cells ,Making Bold etc
active for the unlocked cells of the protected worksheet.Is it possible

in excel?

I locked Few cells of the worksheet and protected it.I want rest all
unlocked cells in the sheet to be allowed to formatted like merging the

unlcoked cells,aligning etc.The moment I protect the sheet the
formatting toolbar gets faded and doesn't allow even the unlocked cells

to be formatted .Is there a way I can allow the unlocked cells of
protected sheet to use the toolbars options??Plz reply if itsnot
possible.....

Regards,
sanam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello Harald,
I am having XP version.Can u provide me a link or
information about how to use the protect dialog to allow all the
toolbars funtion on the locked sheet.
Thanks for the help .
Reagrds
Divya

Harald Staff wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I have formatting toolbar active for the unprotected(unloc

Yep,Got it ,but then still its not allowing me to merge cells and add
hyperlinks etc etc few options its still showing unavailable.Is it
possible to make these also active for the sheet??
Actually Dialog word didnot click .Thanks for the help.
Regards
Divya
Muhammed Rafeek M wrote:

Hi Divya
When you are protecting, you will get a dialogbox, right? on that dialog
box, could you enable(active) "format cells, format columns,..." if you
active, it will allow all users

for more help:

"sanam" wrote:

How can I have formatting options like merge cells ,Making Bold etc
active for the unlocked cells of the protected worksheet.Is it possible

in excel?

I locked Few cells of the worksheet and protected it.I want rest all
unlocked cells in the sheet to be allowed to formatted like merging the

unlcoked cells,aligning etc.The moment I protect the sheet the
formatting toolbar gets faded and doesn't allow even the unlocked cells

to be formatted .Is there a way I can allow the unlocked cells of
protected sheet to use the toolbars options??Plz reply if itsnot
possible.....

Regards,
sanam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No, there are limitations to what you can do, and you found some of them.

Best wishes Harald

"sanam" skrev i melding
ups.com...

"sanam" wrote:

How can I have formatting options like merge cells ,Making Bold etc
active for the unlocked cells of the protected worksheet.Is it

possible

in excel?

I locked Few cells of the worksheet and protected it.I want rest all
unlocked cells in the sheet to be allowed to formatted like merging

the

unlcoked cells,aligning etc.The moment I protect the sheet the
formatting toolbar gets faded and doesn't allow even the unlocked

cells

to be formatted .Is there a way I can allow the unlocked cells of
protected sheet to use the toolbars options??Plz reply if itsnot
possible.....

Regards,
sanam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One way around this is to create your own set of macros that:

verifies that only a range that you want to allow formatting change is selected
unprotects the worksheet
does the work
reprotects the worksheet

You may have to provide several routines that do the work.

--

Dave Peterson