Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CC CC is offline

Default formaula used to abstract portion of a cell to another cell

if cell a1 contains text (10-22-198) how do I write a formula that will opy
only a section of the text to another cell. Ex I would like to be able to
take one of the sets of numbers and populate into another cell. But I want
the formula to run through out the column so if cloumn A1 has 10-22-198 then
I could populate B1 with 22 or 10 or 128 and if A2 was a different text the
formular would still populate using B1's informaton into B2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CC CC is offline

Bob,

Do you know how you can use the same principle with email addresses?

"cc" wrote in message
if cell a1 contains text (10-22-198) how do I write a formula that will

opy
only a section of the text to another cell. Ex I would like to be able to
take one of the sets of numbers and populate into another cell. But I

want
the formula to run through out the column so if cloumn A1 has 10-22-198

then
I could populate B1 with 22 or 10 or 128 and if A2 was a different text

the
formular would still populate using B1's informaton into B2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes, you look for a separator. The obvious one in email addresses is the
domain token, @, so use

=LEFT(A1,FIND("@",A1)-1)

gives the name

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("@",A1)