Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default auto sum

I keep track of sales on a worksheet and use auto sum to add them up. I
leave 5 or so cells open above my total, so I can add to the list as I sell
more. My auto sum used to total as soon as I added a new sale above the
total, but now it doesn't. I have to delete my total and re-do the auto sum.
Even for the same exact cells. What did I do to cause the auto sum to quit
working right? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Make sure your autosum includes all of the cells, including the blank ones?

You've probably inserted/added new rows 'outside' of the range the Autosum
was initially set up with and so the Autosum isn't picking up values in them.
If you chose the row that the Autosum was in and then inserted a row right
above it, this new row doesn't get included in the Autosum formula.

Try it: just put 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 in a column, then drop down to say row 14
in that column and hit the Autosum icon. At this point it should pick up on
everything, including blank cells, from A1:A13 (assuming you used column A).
Now choose row 14 (the one with the autosum formula in it) and Insert | Row,
type a number into the new cell just above the one with the autosum formula
and note that the value in the autosum does not change.

"aloha mama" wrote:

I keep track of sales on a worksheet and use auto sum to add them up. I
leave 5 or so cells open above my total, so I can add to the list as I sell
more. My auto sum used to total as soon as I added a new sale above the
total, but now it doesn't. I have to delete my total and re-do the auto sum.
Even for the same exact cells. What did I do to cause the auto sum to quit
working right? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi JLatham,
Thanks for the reply, but that isn't what's going on... I did the example
you said, and you are correct. However, say you do numbers in 1-5 and total
the auto sum in row 14. Then add a number to row 6. The auto sum isn't
changing.

Thanks for your help :)

"aloha mama" wrote:

I keep track of sales on a worksheet and use auto sum to add them up. I
leave 5 or so cells open above my total, so I can add to the list as I sell
more. My auto sum used to total as soon as I added a new sale above the
total, but now it doesn't. I have to delete my total and re-do the auto sum.
Even for the same exact cells. What did I do to cause the auto sum to quit
working right? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Some things to check:
#1 - look in the autosum cell and make sure that the formula includes the
row as
=SUM(A1:A13)
The second reference should be something larger than the cell you're
changing as when adding a number into cell in row 6.

If that's ok, try changing a number in one of the other cells that you know
it is working with and see if the result in the autosum cell changes. If
not, auto calculation may have gotten turned off. You can check that via
Tools | Options and make sure that {Automatic} is selected on the
[Calculations] sheet. If it set to Manual, that would explain the situation
also.

"aloha mama" wrote:

I keep track of sales on a worksheet and use auto sum to add them up. I
leave 5 or so cells open above my total, so I can add to the list as I sell
more. My auto sum used to total as soon as I added a new sale above the
total, but now it doesn't. I have to delete my total and re-do the auto sum.
Even for the same exact cells. What did I do to cause the auto sum to quit
working right? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!! I never knew about the automatic calculation option,
and that was exactly the problem. You just made my day!!!!! I have no idea
how it got changed, but now it's perfect. Thank you a million times!!!!

AloooooooHA!

Some things to check:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Always good to end a 3-day weekend as someone's Hero! Glad we found the
problem.

"aloha mama" wrote:

YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!! I never knew about the automatic calculation option,
and that was exactly the problem. You just made my day!!!!! I have no idea
how it got changed, but now it's perfect. Thank you a million times!!!!

AloooooooHA!

Some things to check:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

A little about Automatic/Manual calculations: the option is there primarily
for very large worksheets where automatic calculations cause long delays in
being able to do something else - so you can turn it off, make many changes
and then either turn it back on or use [F9] to do the calculations.

"aloha mama" wrote:

YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!! I never knew about the automatic calculation option,
and that was exactly the problem. You just made my day!!!!! I have no idea
how it got changed, but now it's perfect. Thank you a million times!!!!

AloooooooHA!

Some things to check: