Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
aloha mama aloha mama is offline

Default auto sum

Hi JLatham,
Thanks for the reply, but that isn't what's going on... I did the example
you said, and you are correct. However, say you do numbers in 1-5 and total
the auto sum in row 14. Then add a number to row 6. The auto sum isn't
changing.

Thanks for your help :)

"JLatham" wrote:

Make sure your autosum includes all of the cells, including the blank ones?

You've probably inserted/added new rows 'outside' of the range the Autosum
was initially set up with and so the Autosum isn't picking up values in them.
If you chose the row that the Autosum was in and then inserted a row right
above it, this new row doesn't get included in the Autosum formula.

Try it: just put 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 in a column, then drop down to say row 14
in that column and hit the Autosum icon. At this point it should pick up on
everything, including blank cells, from A1:A13 (assuming you used column A).
Now choose row 14 (the one with the autosum formula in it) and Insert | Row,
type a number into the new cell just above the one with the autosum formula
and note that the value in the autosum does not change.

"aloha mama" wrote:

I keep track of sales on a worksheet and use auto sum to add them up. I
leave 5 or so cells open above my total, so I can add to the list as I sell
more. My auto sum used to total as soon as I added a new sale above the
total, but now it doesn't. I have to delete my total and re-do the auto sum.
Even for the same exact cells. What did I do to cause the auto sum to quit
working right? Thanks!