Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to Show month as text??

Surely this is possible....

I'm creating a gantt chart to use at work and want row 12 to be month
and row 2 to be date

Jan Jan Jan
1 2 3
etc.

I'm able to derive months as numbers like this
A1 is 1/1/2001
A2 is =MONTH(A1)
However I can't then convert the result "1" into a text display
"January."

I've also tried Arrays
1 Jan
2 Feb
3 Mar
etc
Then using {=IF(array=array2, A2)} and various other permutations, but
nothing seems to work... thoughts? Thanks :o) steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Month(a1) is a number. You cannot display it as text.

However, you can easily display just the month of the date. So, in your example,
use a custom format of mmm for A1.

If you want both the date, and the month, then for a2 use:

=a1, and format as mmm

Fred

"steveK" wrote in message
oups.com...
Surely this is possible....

I'm creating a gantt chart to use at work and want row 12 to be month
and row 2 to be date

Jan Jan Jan
1 2 3
etc.

I'm able to derive months as numbers like this
A1 is 1/1/2001
A2 is =MONTH(A1)
However I can't then convert the result "1" into a text display
"January."

I've also tried Arrays
1 Jan
2 Feb
3 Mar
etc
Then using {=IF(array=array2, A2)} and various other permutations, but
nothing seems to work... thoughts? Thanks :o) steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Argh, typo... sorry
here is corrected
========

Surely this is possible....

I'm creating a gantt chart to use at work and want row 1 to be month
and row 2 to be date

Jan Jan Jan
1 2 3
etc.

I'm able to derive months as numbers like this
A1 is 1/1/2001
A2 is =MONTH(A1)
However I can't then convert the result "1" into a text display
"January."

I've also tried Arrays
1 Jan
2 Feb
3 Mar
etc
Then using {=IF(array=array2, A2)} and various other permutations, but

nothing seems to work... thoughts? Thanks :o) steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Fred Smith wrote:
Month(a1) is a number. You cannot display it as text.

However, you can easily display just the month of the date. So, in your example,
use a custom format of mmm for A1.

If you want both the date, and the month, then for a2 use:

=a1, and format as mmm

Fred

Awesome! Thanks Fred.
=TEXT(A1, "mmmm") yeilds the full name of the month. :o)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=TEXT(A1, "mmmm") yeilds the full name of the month. :o)

or using Fred's suggestion and just formatting the cell as mmmm

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"steveK" wrote in message