Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default indirect formula help

i need to use a formula in which the variable part is the worksheet name, i'm
trying to use INDIRECT($A$1 & "!A2"), where the value of $A$1 is the
worksheet name, but when i copy my formula to the other cells, the A2 part
does not update

how do i make it automatically update to the current cell reference?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks, I was stuck with how to get the column part to show up as a letter!

So I've used =INDIRECT($A$1 & "!" & CHAR(COLUMN()+64) & ROW()

Thanks so much for your help!

"Biff" wrote:

How do you want the A2 reference to update? By column or row or both?

Biff

"ivory_kitten" wrote in message
i need to use a formula in which the variable part is the worksheet
name,
i'm
trying to use INDIRECT($A$1 & "!A2"), where the value of $A$1 is the
worksheet name, but when i copy my formula to the other cells, the A2
part
does not update

how do i make it automatically update to the current cell reference?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Biff

Just a small point.
Whilst this may well work for the OP's desired range, the formula will
fail once you go past column Z.

An alternative might be
=OFFSET(INDIRECT($A$1 & "!$A$1"),ROW(1:1),COLUMN()-1)

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Biff" wrote:

How do you want the A2 reference to update? By column or row or
both?

Biff

"ivory_kitten" wrote in
message
i need to use a formula in which the variable part is the worksheet
name,
i'm
trying to use INDIRECT($A$1 & "!A2"), where the value of $A$1 is
the
worksheet name, but when i copy my formula to the other cells, the
A2 part
does not update

how do i make it automatically update to the current cell
reference?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ok, so I have used this to import my data, however depending on the A$1 some
of my tables are smaller than others which is making my lookup functions not
return properly! How can I stop this?