Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
0-0 Wai Wai ^-^

Default Invalid Formula with the use of Indirect

Hi.
I'm not sure why it causes the error.

The formula is:
=VLOOKUP(A1, INDIRECT($C$15), 2, 1)
=VLOOKUP(A2, INDIRECT($C$15), 2, 1)
=VLOOKUP(A3, INDIRECT($C$15), 2, 1)

Cells A1 to A3 contain the values to lookup.
Cell C15 contains
=ADDRESS(ROW(C5),COLUMN(C5), 4) &":"& ADDRESS(ROW(C14),COLUMN(C14), 4)
=C5:C14 [answer display]

It won't work! :(
Error: #REF!

I need to use the INDIRECT function because I need a dynamic reference (the
table).
The table is being constantly updated.

How to solve this problem?
Or is there any alternative to do the same thing?

--
Additional information:
- I'm using Office XP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
daddylonglegs

Your range needs to be at least two columns to work within a VLOOKUP
formula, i.e. rather than C5:C14 you need C5:D14 or similar

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
daddylonglegs

daddylonglegs Wrote:
Your range needs to be at least two columns to work within a VLOOKUP
formula, i.e. rather than C5:C14 you need C5:D14 or similar

Sorry, I should rephrase that...

The range needs to be at least as many columns wide as the third
argument, as you have a third argument of 2 your range needs to be at
least 2 columns wide. You either need to change the range, as indicated
above, or change the column index number (third argument) to 1.
Obviously the solution is dependant on exactly want you need to do, are
you trying to return a value from column D or column C?

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535317

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Debra Dalgleish

Perhaps you can create a dynamic named range, as described he

http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html

then reference that range in the VLookup formulas.

If you provide more detail about the table, and the sheet layout, and
what you need to do, someone may be able to suggest alternatives.

0-0 Wai Wai ^-^ wrote:
Hi.
I'm not sure why it causes the error.

The formula is:
=VLOOKUP(A1, INDIRECT($C$15), 2, 1)
=VLOOKUP(A2, INDIRECT($C$15), 2, 1)
=VLOOKUP(A3, INDIRECT($C$15), 2, 1)

Cells A1 to A3 contain the values to lookup.
Cell C15 contains
=ADDRESS(ROW(C5),COLUMN(C5), 4) &":"& ADDRESS(ROW(C14),COLUMN(C14), 4)
=C5:C14 [answer display]

It won't work! :(
Error: #REF!

I need to use the INDIRECT function because I need a dynamic reference (the
table).
The table is being constantly updated.

How to solve this problem?
Or is there any alternative to do the same thing?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
0-0 Wai Wai ^-^

Oh! My silly mistake.
It's because I'm working with different forumlas, some of them use "data set"
column only, some of them (like vlookup) need use the whole table but I forget
it.

So I should create a cell which gets C5:D14.
Then I use indirect to call this cell.

Thanks for your help.

"daddylonglegs" ¦b
¶l¥ó news:daddylonglegs.26pzha_1145800201.9147@excelfor um-nospam.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...

daddylonglegs Wrote:
Your range needs to be at least two columns to work within a VLOOKUP
formula, i.e. rather than C5:C14 you need C5:D14 or similar

Sorry, I should rephrase that...

The range needs to be at least as many columns wide as the third
argument, as you have a third argument of 2 your range needs to be at
least 2 columns wide. You either need to change the range, as indicated
above, or change the column index number (third argument) to 1.
Obviously the solution is dependant on exactly want you need to do, are
you trying to return a value from column D or column C?

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535317

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
0-0 Wai Wai ^-^

As to dynamic named range, the problme is I can't change the reference style of
that named range into absolute (eg $A$1) or relative (eg A1) or partially
relative.

So it's not flexible enough.

Thanks for your help!

"Debra Dalgleish" ???