Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default how do i assign a value to a cell containing text

my worksheet has names and dates when reviews and training is due. I need to
add how many people are up to date and want to add columns totals but can not
assign a value to the cells containing the due dates. Is there a way to
adding how many I have in each column, not counting the ones that are due
shortly? Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way could be to conditionally count cells that have an entry. For example,
if a1:a9 contains some dates, the total due, excluding those due after say
05/10/2006, would be:

=COUNTIF(A1:A9,"0")-COUNTIF(A1:A9,"05/10/2006")

For names, it would be possible to check if a cell has a value (entry) using
Isblank

HTH
Anthony

"Ani63" wrote:

my worksheet has names and dates when reviews and training is due. I need to
add how many people are up to date and want to add columns totals but can not
assign a value to the cells containing the due dates. Is there a way to
adding how many I have in each column, not counting the ones that are due
shortly? Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ian Ian is offline

I was trying to answer the OP's query, but couldn't (and still can't) get it
to work dynamically. ie I can't get it to work with TODAY() instead of a
static date in the formula.

If I try:
=COUNTIF(A1:A9,"0")-COUNTIF(A1:A9,"<TODAY()")
I get the total number of entries, not the number of entries before today.
Trying =COUNTIF(A1:A9,"0")-COUNTIF(A1:A9,"=B10") where B10 contains a date
doesn't work either.

Any ideas why this doesn't work?

--
Ian
--

"Ani63" wrote:

my worksheet has names and dates when reviews and training is due. I need
add how many people are up to date and want to add columns totals but can
not
assign a value to the cells containing the due dates. Is there a way to
adding how many I have in each column, not counting the ones that are due
shortly? Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
To refer to another cell in the condition, the syntax is a concatenation
using &
e.g.
=COUNTIF(A1:A9,"0")-COUNTIF(A1:A9,""&B10) where B10 contains a date

(the first part could use counta instead for non-blank cells)

Anthony

"Ani63" wrote:

my worksheet has names and dates when reviews and training is due. I need
add how many people are up to date and want to add columns totals but can
not
assign a value to the cells containing the due dates. Is there a way to
adding how many I have in each column, not counting the ones that are due
shortly? Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ian Ian is offline

Easy when you know how. Thanks.

I've also figured out that ""&TODAY() works as the criteria.

For the purposes of the OP, who wanted to ignore dates which were near to
the current date, adding or subtracting a number from the criteria (eg
""&TODAY()-7 ) would offset the cutoff date with reference to today,
making it a dynamic formula.

--
Ian