Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default excel drop down list of hyperlinks

I want to make a drop down list where the list is a range of cells containing
hypelinks so that your choice fron the dropdown list will execute the
corresponding hyperlink. Is this possilble?
--
Keith
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ideally, you would execute vba code to accomplish what you're asking, but....
If that doesn't appeal to you, you might want to try this approach:

Set up a Data Validation cell that references a list of URLs.
Example:
With
D1: www.google.com
D2: www.contextures.com

Select B2
<data<validation
Allow: List
Source: $D$1:$D$2
Click the [OK] button

C2: =HYPERLINK("http://"&B2,"Go To That Link")

The user would select the website from the dropdown list in B2
then click "Go To That Link" in C3 to open that web page

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Keith" wrote:

I want to make a drop down list where the list is a range of cells containing
hypelinks so that your choice fron the dropdown list will execute the
corresponding hyperlink. Is this possilble?
--
Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I appreciate your response, but it does not work for me.

My intent was for the "friendly name" for the hyperlink to appear in the
drop down list and by selecting it you would immediately be taken to the link.

Let me elaborate on what I am trying to accomplish. I have an existing
spreadsheet which is a project responsibilites matrix for workers in my
department. I want make that spreadsheet a navigation tool by linking each
"responsibility" cell to the associated Procedure, Template, Instructions and
Samples.

The drop down list in each "responsibility" cell would have the friendly
names "Procedure", "Template", "Instructions" and "Samples".

Choosing "Procedure" would execute a hyperlink to a "PDF" file of the
associated procedure. Choosing "Template" would execute a hyperlink to an
"XLS" or "DOC" file of the associated template. Choosing "Instructions"
would execute a hyplink to a "PDF" or "DOC" file of the associated
instuctions. And, finally, choosing "Samples" would execute a hyperlink to a
directory with samples of the template that have been done by others.

I can easily do this by putting each hyperlink in an adjacent cell, but this
would require a lot of work reformatting the existing spreadsheet which has
an existing cell for each responsibility over the life of lengthy engineering
projects.

I hope that this makes my challenge clearer. I am certainly no Excel
expert, but I feel certain there must be a way to do this.

Keith

"Keith" wrote:

I want to make a drop down list where the list is a range of cells containing
hypelinks so that your choice fron the dropdown list will execute the
corresponding hyperlink. Is this possilble?
--
Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Maybe this, then?:

Still using my posted example
D1: Google
E1: Http://www.google.com

D2: Contextures
E2: Http://www.contextures.com

Select B2
<data<validation
Allow: List
Source: $D$1:$D$2
Click the [OK] button

C2: =HYPERLINK(VLOOKUP(B2,$D$1:$E$2,2,0),"Open That Link")

That way, B2 displays the "friendly name" and C2 hyperlinks to the file.

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Keith" wrote:

I want to make a drop down list where the list is a range of cells containing
hypelinks so that your choice fron the dropdown list will execute the
corresponding hyperlink. Is this possilble?
--
Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're very welcome.....I appreciate the feedback.

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"shail" wrote:

Hi Ron,

This is a great post.....

Thanks,

Shail

"Keith" wrote:

I want to make a drop down list where the list is a range of cells containing
hypelinks so that your choice fron the dropdown list will execute the
corresponding hyperlink. Is this possilble?
--
Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Keith,

I myself, really need to create a list of hyperlinks, that displays data
from other workbooks and sheets etc...

Would you mind emailing me on how it's done ).
Sorry if I sound candid, but I have spent hours and hours trying, I am
sortive new to Excel 2003.

Kind Regards,

Gerry