Junior Member

Default Auto-fill, to inventory 45 RPM records

I am setting up my numbers column as follows:

45-0001-A
45-0001-B
45-0002-A
45-0002-B

Is there any way I can "auto fill" a column, with the same number twice, and add "-A" for record side A information, (Title column; Artist column; Genre column, etc.)then add "-B" for the record side B information.

I was thinking of making two "worksheets", one worksheet with the "Number Column", starting with "45-0001-A"; and another worksheet with the "Number Column" starting with "45-0001-B", but I don't know how to auto fill by only increasing by the last "digit character", and let the "alpha character" remain the same on each worksheet.

After I did this, I would highlight and "copy" (or "Select All") of worksheet No. 2 (-B), go to line "9999" on worksheet No. 1 (-A), and "paste", then sort Column A, "A-Z", and "Save".

My mind goes blank at this point (seems like this should work). If not, does anyone have any suggestions.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Put this in A1
="45-"&TEXT(ROW()/2,"0000")&"-"&IF(MOD(ROW()/2,1)=0,"B","A")
and drag down.

Then select your range
edit|copy
edit|paste special|values

And then copy the formula to its proper home.

--
Ringmaster

--

Dave Peterson
Junior Member

Dave,

Please accept my apology for not getting back to you sooner! I've been working on a "Quicken" Loan Schedule problem for several weeks (I think I have too many things going at the same time).

I am attaching a copy of what I have accomplished so far. I have selected my range to include Lines 1 through 1000, and completed the next two steps; I'm stuck with the "And then copy the formula to its proper home".

Could I get you to give me step-by-step instructions to copy the formula to its proper home?

I've tried several methods, including creating a new sheet and trying to paste to "Column A".

I use "Excel" for cataloging and sorting, which requires a very elementary knowledge of Excel. I know Excel is capable of performing many complex features that I will never use.

My main "expertise", is restoring LP records and tapes, and making CD's from them; that's why I need to catalog all of my vinyl records.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

John Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peterson

Ringmaster wrote:

[...]

Junior Member

Dave, I forgot to include my attachment; now when I try to send it, I'm told I have to resize it. I don't know how to do this.

What I have is: Column A, Line 1 "45-0001-A" with Lines 1 through 1000 selected.
Column B, blank lines with dashes (----) all around the selected area.

I hope you can figure out what I've managed to do so far. If not, let me know, and I will try to resize and send the attachment.

Sorry,