Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default bunch of "yes" or "no" entered in row, output 1 if a single yes

I have a bunch of yes and no's (sometimes only no's or yes's) entered in row,
I want to check the row and output 1 if there's a single yes in the row
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try something like this:

=COUNTIF(1:1,"yes")0

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"dan2201" wrote:

I have a bunch of yes and no's (sometimes only no's or yes's) entered in row,
I want to check the row and output 1 if there's a single yes in the row

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default bunch of "yes" or "no" entered in row, output 1 if a single ye

Actually, the formula I posted returns TRUE or FALSE....

This one returns 1 or 0:
=--(COUNTIF(1:1,"yes")0)

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try something like this:

=COUNTIF(1:1,"yes")0

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"dan2201" wrote:

I have a bunch of yes and no's (sometimes only no's or yes's) entered in row,
I want to check the row and output 1 if there's a single yes in the row

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

thanks ron!
however, is there a way i can put a bunch of cell coordinates into the
formula to see if there are any values of "yes"?
such as, check A3, B3, C3, and D4 to see if there is a "yes" amongst a bunch
of "no"
is that clear?
Thanks again!
Dan

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Actually, the formula I posted returns TRUE or FALSE....

This one returns 1 or 0:
=--(COUNTIF(1:1,"yes")0)

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try something like this:

=COUNTIF(1:1,"yes")0

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"dan2201" wrote:

I have a bunch of yes and no's (sometimes only no's or yes's) entered in row,
I want to check the row and output 1 if there's a single yes in the row

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is all I can think of, right now:

=--OR(A3="yes",B3="yes",C3="yes",D4="yes")

That's only ok for a short list of cells, though.

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Actually, the formula I posted returns TRUE or FALSE....

This one returns 1 or 0:
=--(COUNTIF(1:1,"yes")0)

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try something like this:

=COUNTIF(1:1,"yes")0

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"dan2201" wrote:

I have a bunch of yes and no's (sometimes only no's or yes's) entered in row,
I want to check the row and output 1 if there's a single yes in the row

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

doesn't seem to be working...what are the two dashes after the equal sign?
anything that'll perhaps count the "yes" values in a series of cells?
thanks!
dan

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Actually, the formula I posted returns TRUE or FALSE....

This one returns 1 or 0:
=--(COUNTIF(1:1,"yes")0)

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try something like this:

=COUNTIF(1:1,"yes")0

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"dan2201" wrote:

I have a bunch of yes and no's (sometimes only no's or yes's) entered in row,
I want to check the row and output 1 if there's a single yes in the row

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Regarding the =--OR(

The OR function returns TRUE or FALSE. The dbl minus signs (--) force an
implicit conversion of TRUE and FALSE to 1 and 0, respectively.

Now, about checking if "yes" is in any one of a series of cells....
If the cells are in a selection with only one "area", you can use COUNTIF.
Example: =--(COUNTIF(A3:D3,"yes")0)

Note: an "area" is a range of cells that forms a rectangle, or only involves
cells in a single row, column, or cell. BUT you indicated that you wanted to
check: A3:B3 and D4. There are 2 areas in that reference (A3:C3 is one area,
D4 is the second).

This formula: =--OR(A3="yes",B3="yes",C3="yes",D4="yes")
returns 1 if any of those cells contains "yes"

Were you looking for something else?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Actually, the formula I posted returns TRUE or FALSE....

This one returns 1 or 0:
=--(COUNTIF(1:1,"yes")0)

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try something like this:

=COUNTIF(1:1,"yes")0

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"dan2201" wrote:

I have a bunch of yes and no's (sometimes only no's or yes's) entered in row,
I want to check the row and output 1 if there's a single yes in the row

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

ok thanks a lot,
for some reason it's not working but i'll keep on trying...copying the or
equation and pasting and then changing the cell values to my own isn't
working...
I appreciate all your help!
Dan

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Actually, the formula I posted returns TRUE or FALSE....

This one returns 1 or 0:
=--(COUNTIF(1:1,"yes")0)

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try something like this:

=COUNTIF(1:1,"yes")0

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"dan2201" wrote:

I have a bunch of yes and no's (sometimes only no's or yes's) entered in row,
I want to check the row and output 1 if there's a single yes in the row

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

scratch that!
i got it...or i should say YOU got it!
thanks,
dan

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Actually, the formula I posted returns TRUE or FALSE....

This one returns 1 or 0:
=--(COUNTIF(1:1,"yes")0)

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try something like this:

=COUNTIF(1:1,"yes")0

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"dan2201" wrote:

I have a bunch of yes and no's (sometimes only no's or yes's) entered in row,
I want to check the row and output 1 if there's a single yes in the row

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Don't give up just yet....
Post your formula and see if one of us can spot what's going wrong.
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Actually, the formula I posted returns TRUE or FALSE....

This one returns 1 or 0:
=--(COUNTIF(1:1,"yes")0)

***********
Regards,