Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default VLOOKUP returning errors

I have the following VLOOKUP formula, =VLOOKUP(A2,'July Serial
Numbers'!$A$1:$M$72,5,FALSE), which returns #N/A errors.

A2 is in a column named Asset Number, the tab July Serial Numbers has the
related serial numbers 5 columns from the left (column E). What am I doing
wrong?

--
Brevity is the soul of wit.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Dave,

This error comes up when it does not find the required value for
VLOOKUP. Check the value of A2 in the tab July Serial Numbers.

Thanks,

Shail

Dave F wrote:
I have the following VLOOKUP formula, =VLOOKUP(A2,'July Serial
Numbers'!$A$1:$M$72,5,FALSE), which returns #N/A errors.

A2 is in a column named Asset Number, the tab July Serial Numbers has the
related serial numbers 5 columns from the left (column E). What am I doing
wrong?

--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yeah that's what's confusing me. As far as I can tell, the value in A2 in
the tab July Serial numbers is the same as the value in A2 in the first tab.
Seem to be formatted the same, etc.

Have to play around with it, I suppose.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Dave F wrote:
I have the following VLOOKUP formula, =VLOOKUP(A2,'July Serial
Numbers'!$A$1:$M$72,5,FALSE), which returns #N/A errors.

A2 is in a column named Asset Number, the tab July Serial Numbers has the
related serial numbers 5 columns from the left (column E). What am I doing
wrong?

--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bj bj is offline

It sounds like your A2 cell and your associated lookup cell have some
differences.
physically find one which looks like a match and enter
=A2='July Serial Numbers'!A?? (what ever cell looks like a match)
if the response is false, there might be leading or trailing spaces, one
might be a number and the other might be text.
Once you have found what the mismatch is, there are normally ways to easily
compensate and get you back to what you want to do.