Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Help with formula

Hi

How do I creat a formula by switching the operation sign, for example:

From Negative Ten (-10) to positive of 10

Vice versa

From Positive of 10 to Negative (-10)

Thank you
Sothea
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

For the negative number to be changed to a positive number, you can do
ABS(-10) which returns 10.

I'm not aware of a function which returns the negative equivalent of a
positive number. Perhaps =X-2X. Exmple: =10-2(10) = -10.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Soth" wrote:

Hi

How do I creat a formula by switching the operation sign, for example:

From Negative Ten (-10) to positive of 10

Vice versa

From Positive of 10 to Negative (-10)

Thank you
Sothea

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

is it as simple as newx = -1* oldx, or newx = 0-oldx?
or have I misunderstood?

"Soth" wrote in message

Hi

How do I creat a formula by switching the operation sign, for example:

From Negative Ten (-10) to positive of 10

Vice versa

From Positive of 10 to Negative (-10)

Thank you
Sothea

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=-A1
will return the value of A1 with its sign changed (Grade 9 algebra!)
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Soth" wrote in message

Hi

How do I creat a formula by switching the operation sign, for example:

From Negative Ten (-10) to positive of 10

Vice versa

From Positive of 10 to Negative (-10)

Thank you
Sothea

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes it's that simple.
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Soth" wrote in message

Hi

How do I creat a formula by switching the operation sign, for example:

From Negative Ten (-10) to positive of 10

Vice versa

From Positive of 10 to Negative (-10)

Thank you
Sothea

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Dave,
Great ! ABS(-10) is what i'm looking for.

But how I do change positive 10 to Negative 10?

I have a list such as below, like to change to operation sign:

-10
10
-20
30
-50

Thanks
Soth

"Soth" wrote:

Hi

How do I creat a formula by switching the operation sign, for example:

From Negative Ten (-10) to positive of 10

Vice versa

From Positive of 10 to Negative (-10)

Thank you
Sothea

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Soth

multiply the values with -1 (minus one)

say for 10 in A1 multiply it as =A1*(-1)
for -10 in A2 multiply as =A2*(-1)

Hope this works for you.

Thanks,

Shail

"Soth" wrote:

Hi

How do I creat a formula by switching the operation sign, for example:

From Negative Ten (-10) to positive of 10

Vice versa

From Positive of 10 to Negative (-10)

Thank you
Sothea

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're the best ! Thank you Shail.

Just what i'm lookin for.

"Soth" wrote:

Hi

How do I creat a formula by switching the operation sign, for example:

From Negative Ten (-10) to positive of 10

Vice versa

From Positive of 10 to Negative (-10)

Thank you
Sothea

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Enter -1 in an empty cell.

Copy that cell and select your range of data.

Editpaste specialmultiply to the selected cells.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Soth" wrote:

Hi

How do I creat a formula by switching the operation sign, for example:

From Negative Ten (-10) to positive of 10

Vice versa

From Positive of 10 to Negative (-10)

Thank you
Sothea

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Soth
Thanks for the feedback.

Shail

"Soth" wrote:

Hi

How do I creat a formula by switching the operation sign, for example:

From Negative Ten (-10) to positive of 10

Vice versa

From Positive of 10 to Negative (-10)

Thank you