Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Default Sort Order

I have data that is a mix of numbers and text that is being sorted. The text
is always the same "NO DATA SUBMITTED".

I need to sort the data showing the numbers in decending order at the top of
the list. If I sort the data range in decending fashion, the text is brought
to the top because of the default sort order.

Any ideas on how to do this? Can the default sort order be changed for this
worksheet only? Any ideas on other ways to do it would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sort all of your data ascending.
That puts the numbers at the top.
Then sort just the rows with the numbers descending.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Jeff G"
wrote in message
I have data that is a mix of numbers and text that is being sorted. The text
is always the same "NO DATA SUBMITTED".

I need to sort the data showing the numbers in decending order at the top of
the list. If I sort the data range in decending fashion, the text is brought
to the top because of the default sort order.
Any ideas on how to do this? Can the default sort order be changed for this
worksheet only? Any ideas on other ways to do it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Find the last row with a number in it (probably using a loop) and then
specify the numeric range when doing the second sort..
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

wrote in message
I have data that is a mix of numbers and text that is being sorted. The text
is always the same "NO DATA SUBMITTED".

I need to sort the data showing the numbers in decending order at the top of
the list. If I sort the data range in decending fashion, the text is brought
to the top because of the default sort order.
Any ideas on how to do this? Can the default sort order be changed for this
worksheet only? Any ideas on other ways to do it would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could use a helper column and put in B1

=IF(LEFT(A1,2)="NO",MIN($A:$A)-1,A1)

and copy down

Now sort on column B descending.

HTH

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 09:59:02 -0700, Jeff G
wrote:

I have data that is a mix of numbers and text that is being sorted. The text
is always the same "NO DATA SUBMITTED".

I need to sort the data showing the numbers in decending order at the top of
the list. If I sort the data range in decending fashion, the text is brought
to the top because of the default sort order.

Any ideas on how to do this? Can the default sort order be changed for this
worksheet only? Any ideas on other ways to do it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK