Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default sort last name order

Cam any one help me PLEASE!! I'am trying to sort a list of names in excel and
can not do it because I want to sort in last name order. I'm not that
familiar with formulas so can anyone help a lady in distress? Thanks
--
Adriana

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

if you have the names in this format (First Last) try Data/Text to Columns.
Use a space as a Delimiter. Thsi will separate the first and last name into
separate columns. It will work as long as there is one first name, no middle
initial, and a single last name (all th esame). in other words, if there are
more "spaces" in a name field, then it will create an additional column for
that person. However, the few that might not be the same might be an easy
edit.

You can leave the names spearated and sort by last name, or use a helper
column and the OCNATENATE function to form them back into one cell with the
"last, First" state for sorting.