Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sort Data Into Numerical Order..!

I have a list which contains something like the following
Prodcut 1 10
Product 2 7
Product 3 9
Product 4 11

I want a table in another sheet to look up this list and automatically put
it into descending order so that for example Product 4 would be at the top
and Product 2 would be at the bottom. I hope this is clear, it is frustrating
me quite badly so thanks in advance to any help you can give.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi, Scooby

assuming each product has a different code and you have a space beteween the
code and the number that you would like to sort, use an auxiliar column to
sort it with this formula:

=mid(a2,search(" ",a2,1)+1,255)

copy it down and sort by this column

hth
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"Scooby" escreveu:

I have a list which contains something like the following
Prodcut 1 10
Product 2 7
Product 3 9
Product 4 11

I want a table in another sheet to look up this list and automatically put
it into descending order so that for example Product 4 would be at the top
and Product 2 would be at the bottom. I hope this is clear, it is frustrating
me quite badly so thanks in advance to any help you can give.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Say your original datalist is on Sheet1, from A1 to B4,
But you intend to add additional data at a later time, say down to B100.

On Sheet2, enter this formula in A1:

=IF(Sheet1!B1,LARGE(Sheet1!$B$1:$B$100,ROWS($1:1)) ,"")

And enter this formula in B1:

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,Sheet1!$B$1:$B$100,0)),"",INDEX( Sheet1!$A$1:$A$100,MATCH(A
1,Sheet1!$B$1:$B$100,0)))

Then, select *both* A1 and B1, and drag down to copy, down to Row100.

Now, every time you make a new entry on Sheet1, the list on Sheet2 will
*automatically* sort itself.
--

HTH,

RD