Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pat Pat is offline

Default Rounding formulas for negative numbers

I'm trying to round a negative number with the functions floor and ceiling
but I don't get the expected value.
In italian version for floor() and ceiling():
ARROTONDA.DIFETTO(-4,2;-0,5) gets -4
ARROTONDA.ECCESSO(-4,2;-0,5) gets -4,5
instead of -4,5 and -4.
Can someone help me?
Thanks in advance
Patrizia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Pat wrote:
I'm trying to round a negative number with the functions floor and ceiling
but I don't get the expected value.
In italian version for floor() and ceiling():
ARROTONDA.DIFETTO(-4,2;-0,5) gets -4
ARROTONDA.ECCESSO(-4,2;-0,5) gets -4,5
instead of -4,5 and -4.
Can someone help me?
Thanks in advance
Patrizia

Hi Patrizia,

Take for your "ARROTONDA.ECCESSO":
=-ARROTONDA.DIFETTO(-A1;0,5)

And for your "ARROTONDA.DIFETTO":
=-ARROTONDA.ECCESSO(-A1;0,5)

if your numbers are negative and write 4,2 into cell A1.

Regards,
Bernd

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

To quote help

FLOOR

Regardless of the sign of number, a value is rounded down when adjusted away
from zero. If number is an exact multiple of significance, no rounding
occurs

CEILING

Regardless of the sign of number, a value is rounded up when adjusted away

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Pat" wrote in message
I'm trying to round a negative number with the functions floor and ceiling
but I don't get the expected value.
In italian version for floor() and ceiling():
ARROTONDA.DIFETTO(-4,2;-0,5) gets -4
ARROTONDA.ECCESSO(-4,2;-0,5) gets -4,5
instead of -4,5 and -4.
Can someone help me?
Thanks in advance
Patrizia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Bob Phillips wrote:
To quote help
FLOOR
Regardless of the sign of number, a value is rounded down when adjusted away
from zero. If number is an exact multiple of significance, no rounding
occurs

Obvious typo in the Excel Help page: is rounded down when adjusted
__toward__ zero.