Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default wrapping text and vlookup

Hi

Bit of a strange one this, I have a vlookup formula that returns long text
strings. I'd like to have the cells wrap the text when necessary, however
excel won't apparently allow this to happen - with the wrap text box checked
the text doesn't wrap. Does anyone know if this is a result of the use of the
vlookup, and is there any way around it?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You sure that the text isn't wrapping?

Could it be that the rowheight isn't expanding?

If you adjust the rowheight manually, do you see your wrapped text?

Aaron wrote:

Hi

Bit of a strange one this, I have a vlookup formula that returns long text
strings. I'd like to have the cells wrap the text when necessary, however
excel won't apparently allow this to happen - with the wrap text box checked
the text doesn't wrap. Does anyone know if this is a result of the use of the
vlookup, and is there any way around it?

Thanks

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Dave

I have the same problem. If I expand the rowheight manually I can see the
(text) result of the VLOOKUP function. Is there a way to overcome this?

Aaron wrote:

Hi

Bit of a strange one this, I have a vlookup formula that returns long text
strings. I'd like to have the cells wrap the text when necessary, however
excel won't apparently allow this to happen - with the wrap text box checked
the text doesn't wrap. Does anyone know if this is a result of the use of the
vlookup, and is there any way around it?

Thanks

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Rowheight won't change as a result of a calculation. You'll either have to
manually adjust that rowheight or maybe have an event macro do it for you.

If you want to try that event macro, you can rightclick on the worksheet tab
that should have this behavior. Select view code and paste this in:

Option Explicit
Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
Me.Rows.AutoFit
End Sub

You could be more explicit, too, by using a line like:

Me.Rows("1:15").AutoFit