Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Percentages and formatting cells

Hi all

When I enter a figure into a cell and click onto the % icon, it doesn't
simply add a % sign at the end of the figure, it changes it into something
else altogether - what is it doing?

Also, if I then delete the figure and enter another one, it does just put
the % at the end of the figure.

Can anybody explain exactly what the icon is doing to the formattin of the
cell?

Thank you.
Louise
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Louise

The % is a shortcut to format a cell as a percent, if you type 10 and click
on the % icon excel will shows 1000% because it will multiple 10 by 100
(percent),

to have 10% type 0.1 and click % icon

when you format the cell as a percent all figures you type there will show
as percent, change the format of the cell to general so fix it.
--

hth
regards from Brazil