Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default zipped files

Not sure if this is the right place for this post but here goes.....

I can receive and unzip files, however, I am struggling to create one.

I have right-clicked on the file name and chose Add to Zip and then I Agree
but from that point on, I can't work out what to do. I've done what I
thought I needed to but the file hasn't been zipped. Can anybody outline the
steps I need to take to create a zipped file??

Thank you.
Louise
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Louise,

To an extend what you need to do is depenant on which version of WinZip
you have. I'll try to talk you through WinZip 8.1 which I think is the
most recent.
You might find this easier if you create a zip file by opening WinZip
from the Start/Programs path rather than zipping files on the fly which
we'll get to later.
Open WinZip by going through the normal path from Start/Program Files
etc. You will end up with a blank WinZip screen with the prompt at the
base of the window asking you to chose "new". Click on the NEW button
at the top of the window and create a (receptor) file that will in due
course be your zipped file into which you will put files to be zipped.
The program will ask you to give this receptor file a name and you
decide where on your computer you are going to put it (It is easiest at
this stage to put it on your desktop where you'll be able to find it
later!). Give the empty file a name and put it on the desktop. Leave
the exension as it as.
In the next step, the program will ask you for files that you want to
put into the receptor file - these are the files that you want to zip.
You will have to navigate to these files by looking in the "Look In:"
dialog box at the top of the window.
You can make multiple selections by holding the CTRL key at the same
time as clicking on the files you want to zip. Once you have finished
selecting the files you want, click on ADD, and these files should go
into the receptor file ready to be zipped - Note that they have not yet
been zipped.
To zip the file, you need to CLOSE it - Flie/CLOSE. Not the most
obvious part I'll grant you but there you are.

Cheers
Jon

--
Jon Quixley
Jon Quixley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25803

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you for your response.

I have WinZip 8.1 and although the instructions on the Wizard weren't
exactly the same as you list below, it has worked. Thank you.

What's the difference beween doing it this way and simply right-clicking on
the document you wish to zip? Surely that way is quicker/easier isn't it?

Thanks again.
Louise

"Jon Quixley" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Louise,

Glad that it worked - the right clicking method should work too:

Before doing that, selct a file at random and right click, go to
WinZip/Configure - Enable all the options.
Next: You should be able to get files to zip from the right click
route, though you do need to be careful where the zipped receptor file
ends up and what it's called. It might be best to experiment with this
before doing anything serious. This should all behave now you have
selected all the options in the configuration window.

Cheers
Jon