Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Impossible to move a window with VBA 2016 for Mac

I have some problems when I try to move a window on the screen with
Excel 2016 (up to date) for Mac.

Sub Test()
ActiveWindow.Left = ActiveWindow.Left + 100
End Sub

When I run this Macro with Excel 2016 for Windows or Excel 2011 for
Mac, all works fine. But it fails under Excel 2016 for Mac, the window
doesn't move at all and there's no error message.

Did someone noticed the same thing ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Patrick wrote:

I have some problems when I try to move a window on the screen with
Excel 2016 (up to date) for Mac.

Sub Test()
ActiveWindow.Left = ActiveWindow.Left + 100
End Sub

When I run this Macro with Excel 2016 for Windows or Excel 2011 for
Mac, all works fine. But it fails under Excel 2016 for Mac, the window
doesn't move at all and there's no error message.

Did someone noticed the same thing ?

Not having 2016 installed, all I can do is confirm that it does work in 2011,
and that as far as I can tell, it *should* work in 2016. Have you noticed any
other issues?

--
Now is the time to do the thing that must be done!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 2018-02-05 17:00:18 +0000, Auric__ said:

Patrick wrote:

Did someone noticed the same thing ?

Not having 2016 installed, all I can do is confirm that it does work in 2011,
and that as far as I can tell, it *should* work in 2016.

"It *should* work" isn't the same thing as "It works". Just test Office
365 on a Mac.

Have you noticed any other issues?

Yes, I've noticed many other issues. And I'm not the only one.

What I can say is that Office 365 is the worse suite that Microsoft has
ever released for the Mac. And I used it for years. Office 365 for the
Mac is a shame.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 2018-02-05 17:00:18 +0000, Auric__ said:

Patrick wrote:

Did someone noticed the same thing ?

Not having 2016 installed, all I can do is confirm that it does work in
2011, and that as far as I can tell, it *should* work in 2016.

"It *should* work" isn't the same thing as "It works". Just test Office
365 on a Mac.

Pass. I already have 2011, it opens my spreadsheets and runs my macros, so
why would I bother changing?

Have you noticed any other issues?

Yes, I've noticed many other issues. And I'm not the only one.

What I can say is that Office 365 is the worse suite that Microsoft has
ever released for the Mac. And I used it for years. Office 365 for the
Mac is a shame.

So cancel your subscription and go back to using 2011. I have 365 on my PC,
and AFAICT 2011 has no issues with spreadsheets created in the most recent
version.

--
I'm willing to say most of the things I do are horribly wrong,
but they amuse me.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 2018-02-06 18:12:21 +0000, Auric__ said:

Patrick wrote:

"It *should* work" isn't the same thing as "It works". Just test Office
365 on a Mac.

Pass. I already have 2011, it opens my spreadsheets and runs my macros, so
why would I bother changing?

Because Office 2011 is no longer updated by Microsoft and is not
compatible with macOS High Sierra.

What I can say is that Office 365 is the worse suite that Microsoft has
ever released for the Mac. And I used it for years. Office 365 for the
Mac is a shame.

So cancel your subscription and go back to using 2011. I have 365 on my PC,
and AFAICT 2011 has no issues with spreadsheets created in the most recent
version.

Even with the Ribbon? But you're right. I'll cancel my subscription to
Office 365 and keep macOS Sierra and Office 2011.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 2018-02-06 18:12:21 +0000, Auric__ said:

Patrick wrote:

"It *should* work" isn't the same thing as "It works". Just test
Office 365 on a Mac.

Pass. I already have 2011, it opens my spreadsheets and runs my macros,
so why would I bother changing?

Because Office 2011 is no longer updated by Microsoft and is not
compatible with macOS High Sierra.

....which is not an issue for me, since I generally don't bother staying with
the latest and greatest OS, either. (My MacBook has El Capitan and I'm
keeping my iMac on Snow Leopard so I can continue to use PPC apps. Both
work; why upgrade?)

Aside from bug and security fixes, I generally don't care to be on the
bleeding edge of technology -- especially not the OS, or programs required
for day-to-day business. (For that matter, I could easily revert to using
Office 97 or 2000 on the PC -- but I'm stuck with 2011 on the Mac, due to no
PPC support on El Capitan.)

What I can say is that Office 365 is the worse suite that Microsoft
has ever released for the Mac. And I used it for years. Office 365 for
the Mac is a shame.

So cancel your subscription and go back to using 2011. I have 365 on my
PC, and AFAICT 2011 has no issues with spreadsheets created in the most
recent version.

Even with the Ribbon? But you're right. I'll cancel my subscription to
Office 365 and keep macOS Sierra and Office 2011.

Uh... you lost me. What does the Ribbon have to do with anything?

As an aside to all of the above, there *are* other office suites besides
Microsoft's. It might be worth your while to see if any of them would suit
your needs. OpenOffice and its derivatives (especially NeoOffice, which is
Mac-specific) are by far the most popular, and they're free. (Well...
NeoOffice is $15, or $30 through the app store.)

--
McDonalds: A handy substitute for food, in the same way that
**** is a handy substitute for fresh drinking water.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 2018-02-07 15:03:25 +0000, Auric__ said:

So cancel your subscription and go back to using 2011. I have 365 on my
PC, and AFAICT 2011 has no issues with spreadsheets created in the most
recent version.

Even with the Ribbon? But you're right. I'll cancel my subscription to
Office 365 and keep macOS Sierra and Office 2011.

Uh... you lost me. What does the Ribbon have to do with anything?

Office 365 on PC makes heavy use of the Ribbon with VBA and I think
that Office 2011 for Mac doesn't know anything about the Ribbon.

As an aside to all of the above, there *are* other office suites besides
Microsoft's. It might be worth your while to see if any of them would suit
your needs. OpenOffice and its derivatives (especially NeoOffice, which is
Mac-specific) are by far the most popular, and they're free. (Well...
NeoOffice is $15, or $30 through the app store.)

I've tried OpenOffice 2 years ago and found it was ugly and very very
slow on a Mac with 16 GB of RAM. I'll try NeoOffice. Thanks for the
advice.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 2018-02-07 15:03:25 +0000, Auric__ said:

So cancel your subscription and go back to using 2011. I have 365 on my
PC, and AFAICT 2011 has no issues with spreadsheets created in the most
recent version.

Even with the Ribbon? But you're right. I'll cancel my subscription to
Office 365 and keep macOS Sierra and Office 2011.

Uh... you lost me. What does the Ribbon have to do with anything?

Office 365 on PC makes heavy use of the Ribbon with VBA and I think
that Office 2011 for Mac doesn't know anything about the Ribbon.

That would be a decision by the user, not Office itself. 2011 does have the
Ribbon, but since I don't program for it, I can't say whether or not it works
the same as the PC version. (I would assume it does, but no info either way
on my end.)

As an aside to all of the above, there *are* other office suites besides
Microsoft's. It might be worth your while to see if any of them would suit
your needs. OpenOffice and its derivatives (especially NeoOffice, which is
Mac-specific) are by far the most popular, and they're free. (Well...
NeoOffice is $15, or $30 through the app store.)

I've tried OpenOffice 2 years ago and found it was ugly and very very
slow on a Mac with 16 GB of RAM. I'll try NeoOffice. Thanks for the
advice.

Just remember that Neo is based on Open and Libre. If Open was slow for you,
IMO there's a good chance that Neo will be as well. Try the free viewer first
before spending money.

--
Document everything.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 2018-02-07 16:02:16 +0000, Auric__ said:

Just remember that Neo is based on Open and Libre. If Open was slow for you,
IMO there's a good chance that Neo will be as well. Try the free viewer first
before spending money.

I've followed your advice, I've installed NeoOffice and I'm testing it.
The first impression is good. ;-)