Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 2010 Charting in Userform - Can't Access OWC11 Control from Toolbox??

Good people,

I am stumped...

Chronology:
I use VBA to perform many calculations
I store these calculations in Access
I do all this using the VBE from Excel
I retrieve values from Access, and then store them in local arrays
I bind these arrays to ChartSpaces within UserForms
I've done this successfully using OWC11 and Excel 2007 on a 32-bit version of Vista
I've upgraded Windows 7 64-bit and to Office 2010
Immediately I start getting errors :'( about references, and some additional keywords I need to use for my code to work on a 64-bit
I updated the references/libraries, and modified the code to run in Office 2010 on 64-bit Windows 7 (e.g. adding the PtrSafe keyword to declaration statements).
I can now run calculation routines successfully
When I open up the UserForms, however, the ChartSpaces are missing??
I make sure OWC11 is referenced correctly; I can browse it within the object browser, so everything seems fine to me...
I try to add "additional controls..." to the toolbox form, but I cannot find the ChartSpace control under the list of available controls :''(

Can anyone help me out?
If I can just get the ChartSpace control to the toolbox form, then I
can just re-add the required ChartSpaces that my code references...

I have not been able to solve this problem on my own, and I was unable
to find a solution form internet searches. I am at a loss; any help
would be greatly appreciated,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

shoeless presented the following explanation :
[...]

What is a ChartSpace control? What library/ocx is it found in? Does
that library/ocx ship with MSO x64 in a 64 bit version?

--
Garry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Aug 4, 10:29*pm, GS wrote:
[...]

Free usenet access athttp://www.eternal-september.org

Garry,

Sorry for the late reply, but I was not alerted via e-mail about your
post?...

Anyway, from my understanding, a chartspace control is part of
Microsoft Offioe Web Controls/Components. I use OWC11 (after 2003
they seem to have discontinued the updates, but it is still
supported). This can be downloaded from the following address:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=22276

I use the ChartSpace control in order to create an office chart
"within" a UserForm (i.e. instead of pasting an image-file of a chart
in the userform). This is my prefered method, and has worked in the
past...

Once OWC11 is installed, I go to Tools Additional Controls
Microsoft Office Chart vXX.0 which sets a reference to the OWC
library. Here in lies the problem, there is no ".. Office Chart..."
under additional controls to make the reference where there should be.

I am not aware of any other way to graph within a UserForm; if there
is, this would be a potential solution to my problem as well...

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ok, got it. I suspected that maybe you were talking about the OWC
component[s]. AFAIK, they're made for Web use, and any time I've heard
of anyone using OWC in a userform it's always been a nightmare. Why
can't you make a graph on a worksheet and display that?

Optionally, there's a 3rd party freeware chart OCX named 'RMChart'.
You'll have to distribute and register the OCX/DLL if your project is
used on other PCs. Just 'google' rmchart or go here...

http://www.brothersoft.com/rmchart-35638.html

--
Garry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Aug 11, 8:10*pm, GS wrote:
Ok, got it. I suspected that maybe you were talking about the OWC
component[s]. AFAIK, they're made for Web use, and any time I've heard
of anyone using OWC in a userform it's always been a nightmare. Why
can't you make a graph on a worksheet and display that?

Optionally, there's a 3rd party freeware chart OCX named 'RMChart'.
You'll have to distribute and register the OCX/DLL if your project is
used on other PCs. Just 'google' rmchart or go here...

*http://www.brothersoft.com/rmchart-35638.html

--
Garry

Free usenet access athttp://www.eternal-september.org

Yes, that's been my experience OWC as well - not necessarily a
nightmare, but coming close at times.

I haven't scene/used RMChart before, but thank you very much for the
reference. I've just downloaded it now and so I'll give it a try here
shortly. I've actually been looking for an alternative to OWC for
quite sometime, so hopefully this does the trick. Funny thing is,
when I've done searches for alternatives in the past I haven't come
across it, but now that I know what it is and do a search I find a lot
of info on it - go figure, lol...

Once again thank you; best regards,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Aug 11, 8:10*pm, GS wrote:
[...]

You're welcome!

Note that RMChart is only a glorified chart control, and so is not a
substitute for the other OWC components. I haven't found a free
spreadsheet control as yet, but I did buy Farpoint's (now Grape City)
ActiveX Spread component to use with VB6 apps as an alternative to
using Excel. I don't know what other components OWC contains, but I
find it easier to use Excel for charting.

--
Garry