Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Using Excel to search Word documents?

Our primary data is stored in Excel 2007 workbooks, but
some of our other data is stored in Word 2007 documents.

Is it possible to put a macro in our Excel workbooks that
uses any ADO techniques to search Word documents for
data? We don't want users to manually open Word documents
and search for data, as that seems to be sooo time consuming.

I'm just wondering if it's possible to program Excel to search
through a group of Word documents efficiently?? Would ADO
be the fastest way to open and search and big collection of Word
docs?

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

After serious thinking Robert Crandal wrote :
Our primary data is stored in Excel 2007 workbooks, but
some of our other data is stored in Word 2007 documents.

Is it possible to put a macro in our Excel workbooks that
uses any ADO techniques to search Word documents for
data? We don't want users to manually open Word documents
and search for data, as that seems to be sooo time consuming.

I'm just wondering if it's possible to program Excel to search
through a group of Word documents efficiently?? Would ADO
be the fastest way to open and search and big collection of Word
docs?

Thank you!

Unfortuantely, ADO doesn't recognize Word.doc file as a database table
as it might a plain.txt or config.dat file. You might be able to do
this if the word.doc was structured like a data table, but understand
that the entire file would get read into the recordset. -Might have
disastrous results<g!

--
Garry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know what the efficiencies would be, but have you considered
using the Word Application object via VBA?

--
Clif McIrvin

(clare reads his mail with moe, nomail feeds the bit bucket :-)