Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default create a spreadsheet from another app

Hi,

I am creating Excel spreadsheets from our application. We start
Excel and then send DDE commands to it to create spreadsheets.
Is there a better way of doing this that is not so error prone ?

Excel seems to have DDE problems often and there seems to be some
mysterious re-entrency problems where both our application and
Excel will have be restarted in order to get the communication
flowing again.

Sincerely,
Lynn McGuire

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Lynn McGuire wrote :
Hi,

I am creating Excel spreadsheets from our application. We start
Excel and then send DDE commands to it to create spreadsheets.
Is there a better way of doing this that is not so error prone ?

Excel seems to have DDE problems often and there seems to be some
mysterious re-entrency problems where both our application and
Excel will have be restarted in order to get the communication
flowing again.

Sincerely,
Lynn McGuire

What application are you using? If it's VB or one of the M$.Net apps
then it likely has what you need for automation via a CreateObject()
type of function. Once created and an object ref established, you can
send VB[A} commands to manipulate the Excel instance however required
by your app. This can happen whether Excel is visible or not, not
visible being the default state of an automated instance.

HTH

--
Garry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What application are you using? If it's VB or one of the M$.Net apps then it likely has what you need for automation via a
CreateObject() type of function. Once created and an object ref established, you can send VB[A} commands to manipulate the Excel
instance however required by your app. This can happen whether Excel is visible or not, not visible being the default state of an
automated instance.

Our app is written in C++. No VB or MS.Net code.

So I need to look into Excel Automation coding via OLE/COM ?

Thanks,
Lynn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

After serious thinking Lynn McGuire wrote :
What application are you using? If it's VB or one of the M$.Net apps then
it likely has what you need for automation via a CreateObject() type of
function. Once created and an object ref established, you can send VB[A}
commands to manipulate the Excel instance however required by your app.
This can happen whether Excel is visible or not, not visible being the
default state of an automated instance.

Our app is written in C++. No VB or MS.Net code.

So I need to look into Excel Automation coding via OLE/COM ?

Thanks,
Lynn

You're welcome!
I think COM is where you want to be!<IMO

--
Garry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The following page may help you.

How to automate Excel from C++ without using MFC or #import
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216686

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The following page may help you.

How to automate Excel from C++ without using MFC or #import
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216686

Nice ! I was going to try Vole ( http://vole.sourceforge.net/ ) but
this looks cleaner.

Thanks,