Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Adding to a list of codes

Hi

In Excel 2003 I have a spreadsheet listing a large number of cost centres.
Each month I am given a list of the cost centres and expenditure against
them, which I want to use a look up to populate in to a master spreadsheet.
However, during the month new cost centres could have been created.

What I would like to be able to do is run a macro against the monthly return
and compare the codes contained in it to the codes already listed in the
master sheet. If there are any new codes not already in the master sheet I
would want them added to the existing list so that the master remains
complete. Any suggestions on how to achieve this would be welcomed.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Maybe you could just copy the whole thing. Wouldn't that be the same as
comparing?

Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"fabio" wrote in message
Hi

In Excel 2003 I have a spreadsheet listing a large number of cost centres.
Each month I am given a list of the cost centres and expenditure against
them, which I want to use a look up to populate in to a master
spreadsheet.
However, during the month new cost centres could have been created.

What I would like to be able to do is run a macro against the monthly
return
and compare the codes contained in it to the codes already listed in the
master sheet. If there are any new codes not already in the master sheet
would want them added to the existing list so that the master remains
complete. Any suggestions on how to achieve this would be welcomed.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

Sorry if I was unclear. The master sheet contains a number of calculations
of year to date based on the monthly figures on the monthly sheets.
Therefore in January for cost centre AAAA I will do a lookup of the
expenditure for January and so place it in the correct cell. February's
submission will go in the next column and the master sheet will recalculate.
All is OK until the submission in March contains an entry for anew cost
centre ie ZZZZ not on the master sheet and therefore this expenditure will
not be included in the calculations on the master sheet. Therefore I need to
identify new codes and add them to the master sheet. These contain thousands
of lines and therefore I need to automate this process. I hope that
clarifies my objectives.

Thanks

"fabio" wrote in message
Hi

In Excel 2003 I have a spreadsheet listing a large number of cost centres.
Each month I am given a list of the cost centres and expenditure against
them, which I want to use a look up to populate in to a master
spreadsheet.
However, during the month new cost centres could have been created.

What I would like to be able to do is run a macro against the monthly
return
and compare the codes contained in it to the codes already listed in the
master sheet. If there are any new codes not already in the master sheet
would want them added to the existing list so that the master remains
complete. Any suggestions on how to achieve this would be welcomed.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Still not too clear and I won't try to recreate your file so I repeat my
offer to send
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Maybe you could just copy the whole thing. Wouldn't that be the same as
comparing?
If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look
if:

Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software