Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Keystroke macro results . . .

I have Office 2003 AND Office 2007 installed on my PC.

Now, when I record a keystroke macro to put some text into a cell and hit
enter, then go to the VBA Editor, the resultant macro is not what I'm used to
seeing. For instance to record putting some garbage in Cell a1, I get the
following:

ActiveCell FormulaR1C1 <= VB_VarUserMemIdasdfasdfVB_VarUserMemId
Range& VB_VarUserMemIdA3VB_VarUserMemId '+Select

When I attempt to run it, I receive a "Compile error: Invalid use of
peropery".

What do I need to change?

Thanks for any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I used to have booth versions of Office too. Then, I had problems like you
describe and decided to get rid of 2003. Why do you need old technology?
2007 will do everything that 2003 does, and a whole lot more too.

--
Ryan---

"Rich" wrote:

I have Office 2003 AND Office 2007 installed on my PC.

Now, when I record a keystroke macro to put some text into a cell and hit
enter, then go to the VBA Editor, the resultant macro is not what I'm used to
seeing. For instance to record putting some garbage in Cell a1, I get the
following:

ActiveCell FormulaR1C1 <= VB_VarUserMemIdasdfasdfVB_VarUserMemId
Range& VB_VarUserMemIdA3VB_VarUserMemId '+Select

When I attempt to run it, I receive a "Compile error: Invalid use of
peropery".

What do I need to change?

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ryan, not sure how that advice will help the OP. From what he is saying his
macro recorder works correctly in 2003 but not in 2007. That's particularly
the case with shapes and charts though in this particular case it's not
obvious why it's not working correctly. However, anyone wanting to write VBA
is strongly advised to retain 2003 for the macro recorder alone.

There may be other good reasons too. Several features have been removed in
2007, for example if you need to build a data cube you need to revert to
2003. Of course most developers need to cater for all versions.

Rich, the code you posted does not look like anything the macro recorder
should return, even in 2007.

Regards,
Peter T

"Rich" wrote:

I have Office 2003 AND Office 2007 installed on my PC.

Now, when I record a keystroke macro to put some text into a cell and hit
enter, then go to the VBA Editor, the resultant macro is not what I'm
used to
seeing. For instance to record putting some garbage in Cell a1, I get the
following:

ActiveCell FormulaR1C1 <= VB_VarUserMemIdasdfasdfVB_VarUserMemId
Range& VB_VarUserMemIdA3VB_VarUserMemId '+Select

When I attempt to run it, I receive a "Compile error: Invalid use of
peropery".

What do I need to change?

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ugh! I agree with Ryan, however, I work in a support position and, earlier,
thought I could get away with JUST 2007.

I was wrong about that - so, a few days ago, I uninstalled Office2007,
installed 2003, then put 2007 back on.

That's when my macro recorder started doing the thing it's doing - which is
to say, putting "ugly" code in EITHER 2003 OR 2007 VBA.

When I uninstalled 2007, I ran CCleaner, but I did not thoroughly annhiliate
the previous installation of 2007. (As you know Uninstalls do not do exactly
that; sometimes that's a good thing, but mostly not!

If I go back and do uninstalls again, any advice on the best way to remove
the previous settings, which may be the cause of my displeasure!

As I write this reply, I now realize I did not uninstall my version of ASAP
Utilities. Hmmm . . .

Nonetheless, any advice . . .

"Rich" wrote:

I have Office 2003 AND Office 2007 installed on my PC.

Now, when I record a keystroke macro to put some text into a cell and hit
enter, then go to the VBA Editor, the resultant macro is not what I'm used to
seeing. For instance to record putting some garbage in Cell a1, I get the
following:

ActiveCell FormulaR1C1 <= VB_VarUserMemIdasdfasdfVB_VarUserMemId
Range& VB_VarUserMemIdA3VB_VarUserMemId '+Select

When I attempt to run it, I receive a "Compile error: Invalid use of
peropery".

What do I need to change?

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ryguy7272 wrote:
I used to have booth versions of Office too. Then, I had problems like you
describe and decided to get rid of 2003. Why do you need old technology?

Because it works.

2007 will do everything that 2003 does, and a whole lot more too.

I'd like to think this was an April Fools joke.

XL2003 was the last decently working copy of Excel. XL2007 may have
snazzy eye candy but graphs are glacially slow with moderate amounts of
date and macro recording is hopelessly broken.

It is amusing to see people struggling with XL2007 after having been
warned not to upgrade. It was even worse before SP2.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sounds like your system is in a real mess, that can happen if Excel versions
are not installed in the correct order. Best start again and uninstall
everything, see here too if necessary
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218
(guess there's a 2003 page too if you search for it)

Install xl2003 first including SP3, then xl2007 with all the updates.

ASAP is only an addin and wouldn't have anything to do with your problems if
still installed. Normally though I think any relevant addin entries should
have been fully removed during the uninstall process (though make sure).

Regards,
Peter T

"ryguy7272" wrote:

I used to have booth versions of Office too. Then, I had problems like
you
describe and decided to get rid of 2003. Why do you need old technology?
2007 will do everything that 2003 does, and a whole lot more too.

--
Ryan---
If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking
''Yes''.