Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default formula to delete first n chars

I need a formula which will delete or remove the first N
(or leftmost N) characters from a text cell. I tried
looking at the left() and right() formulas, but they
KEEP the left or right data, rather than delete.

thanx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just to clarify my original question, I'm looking for a formula
that will return a substring or a truncated substring of a given
text cell. Specifically, I want to return a substring which
removes the first N characters of a given text cell.

Hope that is more clear!

"Robert Crandal" wrote in message
I need a formula which will delete or remove the first N
(or leftmost N) characters from a text cell. I tried
looking at the left() and right() formulas, but they
KEEP the left or right data, rather than delete.

thanx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

not sure if this is what you're looking for, but look at the mid function

=mid(a1,2,len(a1))

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

"Robert Crandal" wrote in message
Just to clarify my original question, I'm looking for a formula
that will return a substring or a truncated substring of a given
text cell. Specifically, I want to return a substring which
removes the first N characters of a given text cell.

Hope that is more clear!

"Robert Crandal" wrote in message
I need a formula which will delete or remove the first N
(or leftmost N) characters from a text cell. I tried
looking at the left() and right() formulas, but they
KEEP the left or right data, rather than delete.

thanx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yep, that's it! I knew it was going to be something simple!

thank u