Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Linking Combo Box Values to Access Table

Hello,

I am trying to create a combo box and link it to values in an access table.
The access table has a list of well names, dates, rates and hours and several
other columns that I am not interested in. I need the combo box to be
populated with the well names, and when I select one I would like it to
return 3 columns with the Date, Rate and Hours.

I have already tried DataExternal Data ... but the problem is that there
are too many columns for excel and therefore I am missing a lot of my data,
so I need it to pull directly from Access.

To summarize
1) Create combo box linked to Well Name Column in Access Table
2) When Well name is selected in combo box fill out columns in Excel with
Date, Rate and Hours from Access Table

Thanks a lot,

ALaw

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ALaw,

If the data in Access table is relatively static (meaning unlikely to change
during Excel session), then you can populate a Range on a hidden worksheet
with the values from your Access table on Workbook_Open event. Then populate
your combo with the values from the range, and have the corresponding lookup
cells use VLookup on the range - this way the values will automatically
display after updating the combo

Hope this helps

"ALaw" wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to create a combo box and link it to values in an access table.
The access table has a list of well names, dates, rates and hours and several
other columns that I am not interested in. I need the combo box to be
populated with the well names, and when I select one I would like it to
return 3 columns with the Date, Rate and Hours.

I have already tried DataExternal Data ... but the problem is that there
are too many columns for excel and therefore I am missing a lot of my data,
so I need it to pull directly from Access.

To summarize
1) Create combo box linked to Well Name Column in Access Table
2) When Well name is selected in combo box fill out columns in Excel with
Date, Rate and Hours from Access Table

Thanks a lot,

ALaw

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Sergey,

I have thought of doing this but my data in excel does not fit into an
excel worksheet. I am still using Office 2000 at work, and excel will
only let me fill in ~65000 cells.

Thanks though!

"ALaw" wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to create a combo box and link it to values in an access table.
The access table has a list of well names, dates, rates and hours and several
other columns that I am not interested in. I need the combo box to be
populated with the well names, and when I select one I would like it to
return 3 columns with the Date, Rate and Hours.

I have already tried DataExternal Data ... but the problem is that there
are too many columns for excel and therefore I am missing a lot of my data,
so I need it to pull directly from Access.

To summarize
1) Create combo box linked to Well Name Column in Access Table
2) When Well name is selected in combo box fill out columns in Excel with
Date, Rate and Hours from Access Table

Thanks a lot,

ALaw- Hide quoted text -